Sign in to follow this  

85 XR600R hard start

Ok guys its been a while since I've visited the brp page. I'm currently working on a 600 with the twin carbs and I'm looking for answers. First off I'm not a brp noob, I know how to start these bikes. So far I've gone through the carbs and cleaned them reset needles to factory position and gone up one size on the pilot jet(48). Both carbs have 128 mains and the float level has been set as well. The primary carb used to drip from the vent but that was taken care of with the float adjust. Anyways I need some tips as to what to look for, common probs anything to help out. The bike runs pretty well and is not tired.

thanks

I'll state the obvious... XR600's ARE hard to start when luke warm. Easy to start when cold or hot, but in the middle can be a crap shoot as to how many kicks it's gonna take. That's how mine is, and that's the reputation that seems to follow the XR600.

If it's hard to start when it's cold, what's your starting procedure?

I'm a new guy here so it's probably not my place to say, but you're really not giving folks anything to go on to help you out.

FWIW....

Also these statements are a bit of an oxymoron...

"First off I'm not a brp noob, I know how to start these bikes......Anyways I need some tips as to what to look for, common probs anything to help out."

If you're not a "noob" then you already know this stuff and your reason for asking is.......?

Sorry but the whole tone of your post kinda torqued something... Maybe I got my sphincter screwed down too tight today and it's cutting off the blood flow to my brain, but you might have better luck if you start over and lay out exactly what you're doing, what you've done, and what the issues are....

Oooooor maybe 3 days of fighting 103* plus fevers has my perception scrambled a little bit? Who knows.

I do know that your post sounds a lot like this:

"Hi! Thank you for calling Easy Help Over-The-Phone Auto Repair, how may I help you today?"

"Uhhh, yeah like my car won't start. I'm not a noob, I've owned a car for the last 10 years so this isn't my first go round. It won't start."

"Ok. Your car won't start, what's it doing when you try and start it?"

"I already TOLD you dude! It won't start! That's the problem!!!!"

Ya know? ;-)

ETA:

Did you check your valves?

Have you looked at your plug as has been previously stated?

Have you checked all the connections with the ignition system?

Have you tried to diagnose the CDI to ensure it's working properly?

Is your stator putting out the juice it's supposed to on the ignition windings?

Is the bike flooding when you try and start it?

Are you touching the throttle when kicking it over?

What are you doing? What have you done? Did the bike have any problems before you "fixed" anything on it or did it run great until you "fixed" something?

Edited by 1985 XR600R
Cause I'm trying to be helpful

So far I've gone through the carbs and cleaned them reset needles to factory position and gone up one size on the pilot jet(48). Both carbs have 128 mains and the float level has been set as well. The primary carb used to drip from the vent but that was taken care of with the float adjust.

Okay, I reread and the above stands out to me. Was the primary carb overflowing because the float was actually set too high? Does the bike have any airflow mods like a filter, exhaust, etc? How many turns out from seated is the idle mixture screw?

Oooooor maybe 3 days of fighting 103* plus fevers has my perception scrambled a little bit? Who knows.

That sounds like fun. I absent-mindedly nuked my guts early this morning with strong coffee, corn dogs, fizzy vitamin C mix, and ibuprofen and I still feel awful after much of it made a u-turn and exited the way it came. I planned to do something productive today...:banana:

EDIT: IMO, these bikes are actually not hard to start when everything is in order. :lol:

That sounds like fun. I absent-mindedly nuked my guts early this morning with strong coffee, corn dogs, fizzy vitamin C mix, and ibuprofen and I still feel awful after much of it made a u-turn and exited the way it came. I planned to do something productive today...:lol:

I feel you on that one... enjoying your eats a second time around definitely has a way of ruining the start of a perfectly good day.

I'm really hoping that you're feeling better HeadTrauma :banana:

I'll state the obvious... XR600's ARE hard to start when luke warm. Easy to start when cold or hot, but in the middle can be a crap shoot as to how many kicks it's gonna take. That's how mine is, and that's the reputation that seems to follow the XR600.

If it's hard to start when it's cold, what's your starting procedure?

I'm a new guy here so it's probably not my place to say, but you're really not giving folks anything to go on to help you out.

FWIW....

Also these statements are a bit of an oxymoron...

"First off I'm not a brp noob, I know how to start these bikes......Anyways I need some tips as to what to look for, common probs anything to help out."

If you're not a "noob" then you already know this stuff and your reason for asking is.......?

Sorry but the whole tone of your post kinda torqued something... Maybe I got my sphincter screwed down too tight today and it's cutting off the blood flow to my brain, but you might have better luck if you start over and lay out exactly what you're doing, what you've done, and what the issues are....

I do know that your post sounds a lot like this:

"Hi! Thank you for calling Easy Help Over-The-Phone Auto Repair, how may I help you today?"

"Uhhh, yeah like my car won't start. I'm not a noob, I've owned a car for the last 10 years so this isn't my first go round. It won't start."

"Ok. Your car won't start, what's it doing when you try and start it?"

"I already TOLD you dude! It won't start! That's the problem!!!!"

Ya know? ;-)

ETA:

Did you check your valves?

Have you looked at your plug as has been previously stated?

Have you checked all the connections with the ignition system?

Have you tried to diagnose the CDI to ensure it's working properly?

Is your stator putting out the juice it's supposed to on the ignition windings?

Is the bike flooding when you try and start it?

Are you touching the throttle when kicking it over?

What are you doing? What have you done? Did the bike have any problems before you "fixed" anything on it or did it run great until you "fixed" something?

valves are adjusted correctly

I have checked for loose or corroded connections

no I have not tried to diagnose the CDI system

have not checked windings

no bike is not flooding

no Im not twisting throttle

bike has allways been hard to start as far as I know. A friend of mine bought bike about six years ago rode it a little but could not start the bike cold or hot, he did not understand the comp release/starter procedure. Bike sat for several years another friend bought it and I'm just trying to get it to start right.

Okay, I reread and the above stands out to me. Was the primary carb overflowing because the float was actually set too high? Does the bike have any airflow mods like a filter, exhaust, etc? How many turns out from seated is the idle mixture screw?

That sounds like fun. I absent-mindedly nuked my guts early this morning with strong coffee, corn dogs, fizzy vitamin C mix, and ibuprofen and I still feel awful after much of it made a u-turn and exited the way it came. I planned to do something productive today...:banana:

EDIT: IMO, these bikes are actually not hard to start when everything is in order. :lol:

I had a 79 xr500 and a xr650r that was highly modded including a chokeless 41mm FCR and I have to agree the xr's are usually easy to start I'm sorry for offending some but I know that particullar bikes/cars/tvs are know to have problems with certain parts was looking for someone to point me in the right direction

air screw is 2 turns out but jetting doesnt seem to have an effect so Im going to start looking at the ignition

also set the comp releases to spec by chilton manual

k/n filter no baffle in box feels a little lean on the main but will play with that later

My XR600R has always reminded me of a 2 stroke, give her full choke cold couple kicks no throttle when she gives a little burble go to half choke and she will start

the early xr's had the enrichener type choke not the air door so starting is a little different than yours azdrdog

the early xr's had the enrichener type choke not the air door so starting is a little different than yours azdrdog
is that some sort of accel. pump or does it just let it draw more fuel through a choke circuit

havnt had time to look at the ignition on this bike yet, i may take my multi meter to work with me today.

Just lets it pull more fuel, no pump on these carbs... :banana:
Ya i'm familiar with pull up choke knobs just wanted to see how you thought it was different.

well found weak spark, everything checked out besides the exciter coil @192 ohms but before I order one I dicided to try to borrow a cdi box just for insurance.

Close the gap in the spark plug to half the spec or even less if it starts well after that then the ignition coil its close to death .

I run my old 87 for some time with very weak spark and the plug with very little gap till I have a new coil .Good luck Flavio

Of the hundred or so XRs I've worked on I've never found even one that was a tempermental starter hot or cold. If everything is right. These last 3 posts are probably the stuff. Remember that a cdi box, stator or even a coil that tests up to electrical specs is not necessarily a good part. You can't load test them with a VOM. I have replaced many cdi boxes that tested perfectly and cured the problem. Coils and stators too, just not as many. Most people have replaced more bad stators. Maybe a weak stator can't fire a weak cdi while a strong cdi can overcome a weak stator. That I don't know, it's only my personal experience. I got my first bad coil last week. It tested good but on very close inspection had a crack in the plastic at the ground terminal. Probably water inside. After replacing it with another used coil the bike started up first kick and ran perfectly after stumbling 30 seconds to clear the cylinder from the last 50 nonstarting kicks. This bike quit while riding so the owner had the motor and carbs rebuilt only to have it do the same thing afterward. I think a new coil was all it needed in the first place.

well I swapped out cdi, no spark. Put the coil off the prob bike on the donnor bike and it fired the plug. So cdi half way checked out and coil checked out so I tested the stator for output voltage and honestly I dont think I could get it higher than 5vac, Ive seen post that say you need 40vac.