Sign in to follow this  

Puke tanks really do work

In a recent post, I had mounted a puke tank from a kdx220 in the air box. Today I got to see if it worked. I just finshed up replaceing the water pump seals and bearings. I couldn't ride it too much because its raining, so I was rapping it and idling in the garage (looking for water amd oil leaks). When I looked back at the rear wheel I saw coolant coming out of the puke tank over flow.

I pulled off the seat to watch what was going on. When I installed the tank, I had filled it with coolant between the min and max marks. At this point the coolant was up to the overflow mark. So I started to clean the garage and looking at the coolant level. It seemed to be staying high, so I thought Maybe my theroy was wrong. However, When I turned back the coolant in the puke tank had dropped dramatcally. Once it was tatotaly cold I pulled the radiator cap and the coolant level was to the top. The coolant level in the puke tank was at the minimum level. So I had put too much fluid in the puke tank.

So for those doubters out there, they do work. The hardest part is finding a good one and a good place to mount it (I like to use bolts not zip ties)

rubberstrip.jpg

PukeTank.jpg

Kickstandpuketank.jpg

I understand your theory. How ever I don't like the mounting of it.

Believe it or not. You are suffocating your bike especialy at higher rpms.

The stock air box barely supplies enough air for these bikes. By decreasing air volume and disrupting air velocity you're robbing power and actuly richening your a/f mix.

You might want to consider adding airbox vents to help offset the lower volume of air.

Later.

that looks like a good set up. and i know you wont feel any performace losses haha some people think a little to much..