Sign in to follow this  

MXA seems to like the YZ250

They call it the most refined motocross bike on the market today. That's a pretty bold statement in a sea of fuel injection and fancy F1 engines.

I wouldn't disagree with their take on the YZ250. That's when I wonder why some people on here seem to think that the YZ is horribly outdated. When you actually ride the bike, its quickly apparent how good it is no matter how long the design has been in place.

Ride more bitch less. :banana:

That is why I thought buyin' a brand-new 2008 was a good idea. I mean, I still probably paid too much compared to if I lived down south, but what can ya do? It is my favourite bike and I have only owned it for 3 weeks.

Well said. The constant whining about a new bike having 'YZF' style shrouds so that you dont have to replace tank decals really sh*ts me to tears. Just get out there and ride what is the best two stroke on the market and be happy that you havent fallen victim to the four stroke marketing lies.

:banana:

Well said. The constant whining about a new bike having 'YZF' style shrouds so that you dont have to replace tank decals really sh*ts me to tears. Just get out there and ride what is the best two stroke on the market and be happy that you havent fallen victim to the four stroke marketing lies.

Oh come on. No need to bash the four strokes. Ride what you like.

Ok.... I'l bite.

what particular lies are you referring to :lol:

It is a great bike but by now it could have evolved into even a better bike.

It has missed out on a good 4 or 5 years of normal R&D.

Imagine, they could have fixxed the trans issues, by now it would have probably come stock with a forged piston (like KTM's do), more overall peak power, and a better steering front end.

Could be lighter too, like the KTM.

I ride a KX 250 and a YZ 250, both are 06's and both 2 strokes. Both great bikes. However, riding both I do see things in one that the other doesnt have or do quit as well, and this goes both ways between the two. This tells me that Yamaha could have made even a better bike than it already is.

It is a great bike but by now it could have evolved into even a better bike.

It has missed out on a good 4 or 5 years of normal R&D.

Imagine, they could have fixxed the trans issues, by now it would have probably come stock with a forged piston (like KTM's do), more overall peak power, and a better steering front end.

Could be lighter too, like the KTM.

I ride a KX 250 and a YZ 250, both are 06's and both 2 strokes. Both great bikes. However, riding both I do see things in one that the other doesnt have or do quit as well, and this goes both ways between the two. This tells me that Yamaha could have made even a better bike than it already is.

Whats the transmission issues ?. I blew second gear but considering it had never been apart for 4 full season racing it was not really a disaster.

While I agree that the bike has missed out on a few years of R&D, that is one of the things that makes it such a motocross value. The bikes are much less expensive brand new than are the newest "whiz-bang" thumpers, not to mention much less expensive to maintain. These are the perfect bikes for guys like me, who know that they are not going to be at the front of the pack weekend to weekend... I race motocross for fun, and 4 strokes have made the fun of motocross WAAAAAAAYYYYY too expensive. I want this sport to stay vibrant, and the only way to keep it that way is to bring down the costs... I bought my first brand new MX bike when I was 16, a 1999 YZ125 for $4500 cash in the summer of 1999, I raced it for three years then sold it before college. Now I am just getting back into the sport and I find that it has been taken over by kids whose dad drive them to the track in $250,000.00 motorhomes, and have a back up practice bike in case anything happens to their race bike.... There was a time when Motocross was the least expensive racing sport, now I could easily pick up a miata and club race it for less than what a brand new 450 costs.....

To be fair that's about 4 or 5 people and equal many posted that they've had no problems at all. I think you're a gear box abuser and just faster than the rest of us.:banana:.

Maybe. I will say that I have never been the easiest on tranny's, however every honda I have owned never gave me tranny problems.

I have been riding most my life and never been brand loyal. Just personal experiance in my hands... Honda's have always had the strongest trannys. Suks are usually the worst, mainly the RM125... I could snap them anytime, and it was always something different in the trans breaking. The YZ's trans is strong feeling and good shifting, but from time to time it just snaps teeth for no reason from what I can tell.

MXA get's bashed alot here for whatever reason, but they've got the nuts to print what they think.

I dont bash MXA.

They are the ones that claimed the two best bikes ever made were the 06 and later YZ250 2 stroke and the CRF450 06 to 08.

I would have to agree with that as far as "jack of all trades" bikes are concerned. I have owned them both and they are both the most well rounded bikes I ever rode.

That said, bikes that are not so well rounded and not so "jack of all trade" sometimes fit certain riders like a glove even though they dont appeal to everyone.

Its like the difference between custom and universal

No doubt the YZ could be made better. But bone stock and for the price, you can not find a better bike anywhere.

I like to bash MXA when they print bad info, but in the last few months they have gone out of their way to say good things about the yz 250. I get the feeling they are doign all they can to keep it and the 125 around.

Its pretty obvious MX has ended for a lot of folks by showing up at a race and comparing the number of riders to the number of riders riding 10 years ago. Also, looking at shops now all thats featured are cruisers and offroad 4 wheelers of one form or another.

With only two major manufactures including 2-strokes in their models, I think the pissin' match about who is better is a waste of time. While I don't own a KTM, I don't view them as the "other-guy". I am glad they have decided to stick it out with Yamaha, it can only increase whatever chance there is for Yamaha to bring out a smoker with all the new suspension goodies the "F" class bikes are gettin'. 2012 maybe?

MXA is kind of hard to figure out. They seem to be in favor of 2 strokes yet they don't include them in their shootouts. If a racer is looking at the tests for a real world comparison shouldn't he want and expect that all the bikes raced in a class are included ? Doesn't happen that way though. This months' big bores make me scratch my head. I can see the Husky, the KTM, and the YZ144 as being logical choices buy the "YZ270" ? Who in their right mind is going to spend that much money and get very little in return. A head mod on a stock 250 will probably do just as much. They stated that the cylinder could be bored 3 times but what they didn't say was that oversized pistons for big bores just don't exist. MXA confuses me but all the other magazines are even worse.