Sign in to follow this  

99 cr250

What's your opinion on a 99 CR250? Any problems that they are known for? I found a really clean one, completely rebuilt motor, and extras for $1600.

What's your opinion on a 99 CR250? Any problems that they are known for? I found a really clean one, completely rebuilt motor, and extras for $1600.

Great year, frame is a bit stiffer than the later generation frames. Motor is solid. I'd ask for proof it was rebuilt (receipts, etc...). Look it over really good, and if it's in as good as condition as they say buy it.

1600 is a bit high, I'd shoot for 1300 or lower.

I owned a '98 and was not a fan of the first gen aluminum frame.

I owned a '98 and was not a fan of the first gen aluminum frame.

Seems to be the most complained about issues with the 1st gen frames.

I loved my 98 CR125 back in late 97 when I got it. Back then I just lived with the frame, raced it locally and it did just fine (though I do remember people cracking the frames on the gen 1s near the head down the welds... I never had that issue. Owned it until 2000), didn't really know better.

Will I personally like my 1998 Cr250r but I do agree that the frame is stiff but the enigne is very realiable. I would say that $1600 is to much because I got my dirtbike for $1200 so I would say about $1300 is about right.

I bought a 97 CR250R model when they first came out that's pretty close to the 99'. As stated the frame was pretty stiff compared to the 93 model I previously owned. I had the suspension done by FC & it worked pretty good after that. The first gen. aluminun frames (97-99) don't turn as well as the second or third. It does have a good motor that is bullet proof & can make a better woods bike than an MX ride. I raced it & didn't have problems but also heard of some people cracking them at the weld seams where they meet at the front of the head. The price does seem a bit high tho... Try & ride one & see if you like it.

I owned a 98 and it was a great bike but it had a very large feel to it and the suspension was not the greatest either but reliability wise it was typical Honda with no issues and the engine was explosive fast.

Ride a 00, you will feel a huge difference between the two, so much that the 00 will feel like a 125, really!

You should be able to find a 00 easily for between 16 and 2000, a real nice one too.

I would highly recommend to get at least a 00 for sure.

My good friend has a 99'. The motor's are absolutely bulletproof and strong. I get kind of sick of the frame stiffness talk. I've had NEW 450's NEW 250 2t's and everything in between and my buddy can still keep right on my tail regardless. I've had over a dozen bikes over the last two years and NONE of them have made me a substantially better rider. It's almost all rider. Anyways, it's an awesome bike. I'm sure you'll like it if its a good bike/deal.

• Like 1

I agree with the last post about the frame. I've ridden the steel frame CR250s and all of the aluminum versions and maybe I'm slow, or just not good at providing feedback but I've never attributed the handling of these bikes to their frames. Proper suspension should be able to make about any bike good for you. I also agree with looking for proof of the engine rebuild and my piece of advice would be to check all of the bearings (wheels, swingarm, linkage, head, etc.) by just looking for play and stuff. If you already have the money though I'd shop around, ride a few bikes to get an idea, you should be able to find plenty of 250 2t's in the 1.5-2k range. Good luck!

i've got one. i love the way it handles. it has a really smooth powerband due to the milder ported head for that year. yeah 1600 is high. they're bringing 1000 or less in my area but most are pretty rough.

I get kind of sick of the frame stiffness talk. I've had NEW 450's NEW 250 2t's and everything in between and my buddy can still keep right on my tail regardless.

I agree totally, the frame can be mentioned but shouldn't be a deal breaker. I just did fork seals and bushing on mine, and every bit of work I put into this bike pays off. I still have to rebuild the shock, steering head bearings and looking into better bars/flexx bars, then spring it. But you can improve the chassis little by little for woods and the engine will keep you in love with it.

For big moto hits I would strip it down to the frame and take it to a good aluminum shop to xray it or something for integrity.

Engine wise it hangs with my 505 no problem, I ride them equal. I went back to stock gearing of 13\50, and it will lug and get up on the pipe easy if my jettings good, and this is before I rebuild the clutch with a new cable. The only place I find it a bit of a handful is really ugly hillclimbing with guys riding kdx-220's, but even then it hangs with them you just have to work harder.

There good bikes, and this is my first honda, I grew up riding Yz's.