Sign in to follow this  

dropping forks.

Seams like ive ridden hondas all of life and they all seam to have noches on the forks tubes, indicating how far you can drop them in the triple clamp. i now have a 07 crf 450 and would like to drop the fork tubes to shorten wheel base. just not really sure how far i can drop them. anybody here know?????? the stock instructional manual has a brief description of fork tube adjustment, but really no detail.

Any help greatly appreciated

you can pretty much drop them till they almost touch the bars or raise them till they're flush with the top of the top clamp. it will make a big difference in handling characteristics so only do small changes at any one time.

i now have a 07 crf 450 and would like to drop the fork tubes to shorten wheel base.

You would need to "raise" the forks to shorten wheelbase. On the '07 running the fork tube flush is stk. but you can raise them up 5 mm's or so. If you need to go more then you might want to look at your rear sag.

The forks did have lines at the top up untill '06 when Showa made them 10mm's shorter and no lines.

doc

Yes Shockdoc you are right. i would like to raise the forks to shorten wheelbase. miss communication on my behalf. really though what i was trying to do is keep the front end of this beast on the ground uphill. seams like i drag the cluch uphill and no matter what it just wants to wheelie and wander from one side of the trail to the other. kinda make me feel like a rookie. i am 6' and about 200lbs and now am thinking its the shock spring. in order to get the right sag i had to tighten the stock spring making it too damn stiff. seams like the compression adjustments do nothing.

the limit on the length of the shock spring on the 07 R is 9.80in-10.15in if you have to go less or more than those extremes then you need a new rear spring , if you try to set your sag without staying in those limits , then your bike will always handle like crap , you have to get the proper spring for your weight you will never get the proper suspension settings without the bike being balanced !