Which is the best gym: Gold's gym, Bally, 24 fitness, LA fitness ?

call and ask for the prices, most will drop a few dollars a month if you ask.

The best gym is one that has what you are looking for. DO you need a pool? do you need racquetball? Do you need free weights, etc...

I am a member at LA Fitness because it's close to home and has the things I use. The other gym's all had the same things as LA Fitness but were more of a drive from my house so LA won.

I prefer an old sweat gym(mostly free weights, no pool, no sauna, etc.) but the wife uses the machines and enjoys some of the classes offered at the more fancy gym, so thats were we go. Plus it was actually cheaper than my low budget sweat gym. It depends on your needs and goals more than anything. As stated earlier, the membership fees can be haggled on. Good luck:thumbsup:

the cheapest gym is the one in your house, buy yourself a set of free weights and go to it! no commute, no waiting to use stuff, no farting sweaty weirdos! go run/walk for cardio, or save up what you would use for membership fees and gas for commuting and buy a bike or a cardio machine.

or you can get the P90x dvds and a set of dumbells, like 20-25# and go for it (you can also research up enough info to make up your own p90x-like program from the internet)

also you can get the P90x stuff for like 50$ all day on ebay from people who quit:D

I have to agree with the post above. I had a gym membership for 12 years and the best thing I did was get rid of it. I got on Craigslist found an awsome set of free wieghts with an olympic bench for cheap, match that with surgical tubing, medicine ball and the Wii fit programs and I am in wayyy better shape now. But 90% of what you look like is what you eat.

I can't work out at home. I start getting into it, then the kids come down or something like that. Plus, it's easier to sit on the laptop or watch tv instead of working out. I do much better when I go to the gym and have no interruptions and have like minded people around to keep me going.

I go to 24hr fitness and pay $30 a month for my membership. I can go to all the active sport gyms in the country. You can pay less if you choose to go to only one gym. But from there prices vary depending on what 24hr gyms you want access to.

I can't work out at home. I start getting into it, then the kids come down or something like that. Plus, it's easier to sit on the laptop or watch tv instead of working out. I do much better when I go to the gym and have no interruptions and have like minded people around to keep me going.

Me too. Too many distractions at home

i like getting out of the house sometimes also,my gym has a pool,hot tub and steamroom and is kept clean, its great in the winter. also go with the one that is closest it makes a differnce. i pay extra for the convence,if you factor time and gas its worth it.

I belong to anytime fitness, i love it, theyre open 24/7/365. But the best gym to join is the one closest to your house or youll be less likely to go.

Had a membership to Lifetime, but with 20 min. each way, plus locker time, it was easier to fill the basement with equipment....

And, now I feel guilty if I do it when the kids are up, so....

I'm just sayin......:banana:

I normally prefer going to a gym, I hit it on the way back from work because if I go home before it I won't go too many destractions.

That said I've had memberships at Bally's, Lifetime, Gold's, and 24hr at different points in my life.

I would suggest touring each of the closest ones to your work or home most will give you a free pass for 5 days or so to try it out. Make it very clear to them that you are considering all different gyms for membership and make them earn your business, and that you will not fall for the high pressure sales pitch and sign up the first time you walk in. Take the literature they give you on the gym and compare them side by side on your own away from their sales pitch. Look at what you get for basic membership vs higher levels at each. pick the price point and benefits that fit your goals and desires.

Another thing to look into is what I have through Blue Cross Blue Shield (my employer health insurance), I signed up with their fitness program and it gives me access to all Bally's, Golds, 24hr, and a pile of smaller private gyms and YMCA's. Plus it's cheap $29 enrollment and $29/month no contract. I travel A LOT and it's very helpful for me.

i have trained for yrs in my basement..i am 52 and can still put up 400..the gym is not the key..get a motivated training partner,use strict technique and get crazy..i have been at this for 39yrs now and have had some overwelming workout is gyms that smelled of piss..love it. get your mind right and u can train good anywhere

• 6 years later...

i have trained for yrs in my basement..i am 52 and can still put up 400..the gym is not the key..get a motivated training partner,use strict technique and get crazy..i have been at this for 39yrs now and have had some overwelming workout is gyms that smelled of piss..love it. get your mind right and u can train good anywhere

I can't agree more on this. Though I also have a gym membership now, it's the determination and motivation that counts most.