Sign in to follow this  

lower steering stem bearing?

i have a 05 yz250 and i got a pair of pro taper upper and lower clamps came with the lower bearing pressed on. got them onto the forks fine but when i was tightening up the stem bolts i noticed there wasnt enough thread coming though (only half the bolt threaded). everything seems tight but i know that its not right. it came with another race for the lower but i didnt put that in. is that my problem or can i just use the stock lower race?

is the bottom clamp tight up to the steering tube or is it hanging down? if it's hanging down then it's probably a race issue. if the bottom clamp is snug against it then maybe the stem is too short. are the stems the same length between the old and the new?

thanks for the quick reply. its got about 1/8" to the tube but the seal is flush and its only 1/8" do to a rise in the almost like a machined in spacer ( i dont really know how to describe it but ill try getting a pic) and yes i checked the lengths and their both the same size

On the lower clamp is 2 different numbers stamped. One on the top side one on the under side, what are they?

In machining and casting terms, that raised area around the center hole is called a 'boss'. It serves to strengthen the hole and help support the steering stem that passes through it.

All the lower triple clamps I’ve seen (street, dirt, OEM or aftermarket) have this feature, so it’s a safe bet yours is correct.

So…

Is the stem pressed entirely into the lower triple clamp?

Is the lower bearing pressed completely onto the stem and firmly against the lower triple clamp?

Are the outer bearing races (upper and lower) installed all-the-way into the frame?

Has the correct assembly sequence of parts been followed?

Tip: Fit the triple clamp assembly into the frame and roughly adjust it before you install the fork legs. Sometimes the added weight of the fork keeps the bearing from 'nestling' together.

Let us know how it goes, and good luck!

On the lower clamp is 2 different numbers stamped. One on the top side one on the under side, what are they?
From what I’ve seen, the numbers are generally a part number (or manufacturing number) and the offset (25, 22, etc.)

thanks for all the info guys. i checked the length of the stem to make sure i measured it right and i guess i didnt. seems that its almost a quarter inch shorter. stem is pressed in all the way and the bearing is tight onto the stem. when i bought the clamp off ebay it said for a 05 yz250 but when i got it on the box it said 05 yz250f and 450f. are the tubes on the frame smaller on them? is there a way i can switch the stems? or can i grind both bolts smaller?

Ha! I've had the same thing happen! :banana:

Not a big deal, though. Just have a shop swap the stems, and you'll be on your way...

also the numbers on the clamp are bottom of clamp 00012966 and top of clamp 5006

Edited by twalker2

swapped the stems the day after i posted this, (dads got a machine shop), and it worked great. thanks for all the advice

23694_409314070329_584600329_5603954_6278409_n.jpg

pro taper triple my buddy found me on ebay for 100 shipped

BLING! :thumbsup: