Sign in to follow this  

Putting on a new Front & Rear sprocket on the '05/230 this weekend.

Taking off the stock 13/50 and putting on a 14/49 config. Should be able to use the same number of links on the chain.

Pretty much got a good idea of how to go about it all, but am curious if anyone has any tips or things to watch out for before I get started.

Thanks. :banana:

use a dremel to cut the chain guard if you plan on re-installing it (a good idea)

and use a box cutter or other blade to trim the rubber chain slider

and be careful not to strip the allen heads off the rear sprocket, its easier to loosen the nuts first on the inside.

besides that, its 2 bolts for the front, 2 bolts for the c/s cover, a nut for the rear axle, and 5 bolts for the rear sprocket.

use a dremel to cut the chain guard if you plan on re-installing it (a good idea)

and use a box cutter or other blade to trim the rubber chain slider

and be careful not to strip the allen heads off the rear sprocket, its easier to loosen the nuts first on the inside.

besides that, its 2 bolts for the front, 2 bolts for the c/s cover, a nut for the rear axle, and 5 bolts for the rear sprocket.

I'd read that those trimmings needed to be done with a 15T, but hadn't seen anything about having to do it with a 14T.

But I :lol: to your expertise. Plus... always looking for an excuse to buy a new tool. Off to Home Depot to buy a Dremel. :banana:

Thanks for the tips HB!

Taking off the stock 13/50 and putting on a 14/49 config. Should be able to use the same number of links on the chain.

Pretty much got a good idea of how to go about it all, but am curious if anyone has any tips or things to watch out for before I get started.

Thanks. :banana:

Went pretty smooth. Only issue was I stripped out one of the allens on the rear sprocket a bit. The allen will still grab, so I didn't totally screw myself. I'll end up replacing it before riding season gets here.

The dremel was a big help in opening up the front sprocket guard. The 14T definitely caused the chain to rub on it, and also the rubber guide. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the tips heybuddy. :lol:

np man, just saving others from throwing tools across the garage.

i ended up using a drill since i didnt have my dremel with me, and just drilled out a bunch of holes and snapped the piece off LOL, looks ugly as hell when you take it off but who cares, haha