Sign in to follow this  

Dman Did Baja

The night before, I was already in S Ariz and relatives are gunna take care of Rocky..

:banana::banana:

Its ready to go..

791028385_wVRuu-L.jpg

First day, 3 of us left the hotel in Yuma bright and early, 2 others wimped out cuz they were ascareded of rain. We wanted to cross at Algodones, then get something for breakfast south of the border, way south.

797883886_zLhYq-M.jpg

As luck would have it, one bike (with only 8k on the clock) came to a screeching hault less than 4 blocks into Mexico and had to be pushed back across the border. It made a terrible sound....

I had trailered my bike, and this other to Yuma where I left my truck and trailer with an uncle to be stored at his place of employment in a secured lot. After we tore into the side case to check the doohickey and ruled it out as the problem, I hauled ass to my unks house to retrieve my truck. It was gone.

My aunt and unk were to leave that day in their RV and I feared I was too late, luckily my aunt was there and was able to get ahold of my unk and he brought back the truck to me. I went back to the border and we loaded up the dead bike, the trip was over for him. He took my truck/trailer and his bike home to New Mexico. Later it was confirmed the engine jumped a couple links on the timing chain, we had thought this to be the case.. The sound we heard must have been the piston and valve battling, the valve losing.

No pics of pushing the bike back thru the border. Our travel timing got messed up and we lost that day. I and the the other remaining rider stayed the night in Yuma again and started off right the next day.

Best Tacos in N Baja are made here.. I was too busy eating and forgot to take pics, I think I ate 5 both chicken and beef...

797890193_vQRbN-M.jpg

This guy rode a KLR650 and his lady wasnt bad to look at...... :banana:

797890197_GeUjf-M.jpg

Bmw parking only...

Nice pics:thumbsup:!

I just had an invite from a couple of fellow TT'rs thats heading on an epic journey through Baja. My response was this " well my crazy-emotional wife is due to give birth any day now, my work has been keeping me so busy I forgot that I even own a motorcycle, the new addition Im building on to our place has made me its slave plus I dropped some heavy wood on my foot and broke my big toe so I dont think Im going to make this fun epic..............................wait, if I go will you promise to call my wife when we are finished and tell her I took a wrong turn and was never seen again" ?

I could sure use a nice Mexican two wheeled vacation like yours.:banana:

• Like 1

Sweet pics! Looks like u all had a good time ,that is after you got your

buddies bike back across the border.Ive been wanting to go to Copper Canyon, but a friend of mine an his wife went there a couple of years ago.They said it was great ,but toward the evening the drug cartel,would run you off the road comeing out of the canyon.The looks of those pics you dont want to do that.The same friend an I without our wives at the end of the

month are going to Peru for ten days , ,we will be rideing honda 650s could'nt take our GSs an that suks!but anyway we should have a good time.If you are ever east of the Miss River look me up .I can show you some good rideing ,wheather you like dirt or street. I can hook you up check out my web site smokymountainduelsport.com

ride safe

fireman602:thumbsup:

• Like 1

797891693_9LLXh-M.jpg

797891734_85ovw-M.jpg

797891753_tXzXQ-M.jpg

This is why you dont ride in Mexico after dark.

797891802_4MtUe-M.jpg

This side of the bank looked just like the other side..... :banana:

797891796_WTakM-M.jpg

This fking mud stunk to high heaven, it was at the bottom, the drainage, of a couple cow pastures.....

:Puke:

Baja got some major rain and had tons of flooding. Houses, farms etc washed away along with 4 or 5 bridges along Mex1, the highway that runs the length of Baja.

Here is one being rebuilt.

797893780_v8zjL-M.jpg

View of the washed out valley. Cuz of me being on the wash floor you cant really see the devistation, but the water here ran spanning the entire valley taking everything in its path.

797893795_qFPdn-M.jpg

In Mexico, guess it doesnt matter if the concrete foundation cracks or not.

797893803_JnCym-M.jpg

Cool plant, I called it Baja Tree. I have no idea what it is really called. They can grow quite tall and many get some branches up on the top. The branches grow up not out for the most part.

797897196_dsM9b-M.jpg

Close up of trunk

797897187_Tp7bL-M.jpg

797897225_wfFZh-M.jpg

797897293_wAzhd-L.jpg

Sometimes out in the middle of nowhere, there aint no gas stations. So some enterprising local will sell gas out of 55 gallon barrels, 5gallon jerry cans or milk jugs. You will pay quite a bit more than at a gas station for the gas, but its better than pushing your bike for 100 miles or so....

797897320_WrHNG-L.jpg

Hey man i was wondering if you had any kind of insurance ,when you go out

of the country.Igot me some today, Medjet Assist, have you ever had it an

wondering if it is any good? Hwy 129 better known as the dragon is here about 15 miles away,is makeing World news today .A rock slide took it out,an theres a guy in a car tried to drive through it. funny as hell!

fireman602:ride:

Hey man i was wondering if you had any kind of insurance ,when you go out of the country.Igot me some today, Medjet Assist, have you ever had it an wondering if it is any good?

I bought Mexican Auto Ins, its motorcycle insurance, from ACE Seguros S.A. thru an agent in Deming NM. Hope it was good, but didnt get in a wreck to find out for sure..

:banana:

I bought Mexican Auto Ins, its motorcycle insurance, from ACE Seguros S.A. thru an agent in Deming NM. Hope it was good, but didnt get in a wreck to find out for sure..

:lol:

ACE Seguros S.A. is :banana:.

Great report and photos!

First day, 3 of us left the hotel in Yuma bright and early, 2 others wimped out cuz they were ascareded of rain. We wanted to cross at Algodones, then get something for breakfast south of the border, way south.

Was that around mar 7 timeframe? If so, we were playing in the mud and flashfloods not far from there, at superstition mtn (el centro/national hare and hound). I wish we had been ascareded of rain. Our bikes wouldn't be rusted hulks and tresa's ankle would have fewer pieces.

Dman...and other explorers...when in far away places and getting gas from locals out of drums or jugs....it can be really rusty or dirty.

take along with you an old T-shirt, you can put it in the funnel or even in the top of your tank and use it like a coffee filter to strain out some of the crap.

you can rise it out with a bit of soapy water then tie it to the back of your scooter to dry out, or just cut pieces each time you fill up and discard them when you use them.....do NOT put gas soaked rags ,even if you think it is dry, back into your saddle bags....just a bit of trail knowledge for those who have not experienced "bad fuel in a carb syndrome"

Was that around mar 7 timeframe? If so, we were playing in the mud and flashfloods not far from there, at superstition mtn (el centro/national hare and hound). I wish we had been ascareded of rain. Our bikes wouldn't be rusted hulks and tresa's ankle would have fewer pieces.

Nope, I was back about Mar 1. Thats too bad about T's ankle.

Dman...and other explorers...when in far away places and getting gas from locals out of drums or jugs....it can be really rusty or dirty.

take along with you an old T-shirt, you can put it in the funnel or even in the top of your tank and use it like a coffee filter to strain out some of the crap.

you can rise it out with a bit of soapy water then tie it to the back of your scooter to dry out, or just cut pieces each time you fill up and discard them when you use them.....do NOT put gas soaked rags ,even if you think it is dry, back into your saddle bags....just a bit of trail knowledge for those who have not experienced "bad fuel in a carb syndrome"

Great tip, gas for you. :thumbsup: