Sign in to follow this  

400 sm TT-fcrmx39, needle, which one ?

Hello all, I have a '09 DRZ400 SM, Australian version (Mikuni CV) 0-3000ft elev; with 3x3 airbox mod, drz400e header pipe, yoshi slip-on muffler (too loud) and are thinking of the TT-fcrmx39 carb kit. On another thread it mentions the EMR, EMS and a EMM needle. What is the best for my bike, also thinking of the Base gasket change over and mybe a stage-1 cam at later stage, any suggestions on needle, cams etc would be much appriciated, not for racing (too heavy) just 'Men Behaving Badly'

Seth , like eddie said it is the EMN . If you are buying the carb from TT , it comes with the needle already installed , greg

thanks Eddie, does this mean I will need the shorter choke knob as well ?

and Hinksy, your from auz, was there anything else I'd need for the TT carb purchase, jets etc, thanks

thanks Eddie, does this mean I will need the shorter choke knob as well ?

and Hinksy, your from auz, was there anything else I'd need for the TT carb purchase, jets etc, thanks

Seth , it depends on your setup . If you have an open , full exhaust and the 3x3 , it will bolt straight on . If you dont have a larger header pipe and or just a slip on then you will have to change the jetting to suit your combination . The jets are not hard to get and most bike dealers would have what you need for less than $10 . You can modify the choke knob , like I have , or buy the new one that is now on offer . But you have to do something as it wont work due to clearance . It sucks that you couldnt get the MRD when I bought my bike and now they have a choke knob replacement after I did my FCR , but thats life and you are lucky that you can now get these things , you just have to think about what you might be doing to it in the future , so you dont take any backward steps and have to pull things off to change them , greg

Seth , like eddie said it is the EMN . If you are buying the carb from TT , it comes with the needle already installed , greg

Mine came with EMR installed and I needed to install the EMN that was included.

I do not have clearance issues with my choke.

the choke knob is only a real issue on the bikes equipped with clarke tanks.

stock S/SM tankt he choke is workable,but the high clearance set up does make it easier.

stock S/SM tankt he choke is workable,but the high clearance set up does make it easier.

Think the worst problem with the knob on a std. tank is the risk of knocking it off against the petcock when removing/fitting the tank.

It's also easier to operate if the knob is shorter

I will order one of the shorty's .

Good to know. I was starting to think I put the carb in wrong, but there is not much room to do it to wrong and it runs great.