Sign in to follow this  

fuel choice

What do you mean "is ethanol ok?" There is a big difference between pump gasoline with 10% ethanol and E85 with 85% ethanol...

Ethanol won't hurt anything, but it makes the fuel go stale a lot faster, so I recommend draining the carb or running it dry if the bike is going to sit for more than a few days. I would use 91 octane.

I found that I had to run 91 octane in mine last summer to keep the pig from knocking under a load. I found a bunch of carbon build-up on the combustion chamber when I tore her down this winter. I suspect that the carbon crud was a contributor to her appetite for octane.

Bottom line is: HT is right on about the 10% going stale faster. Try a half tank of midgrade and see if it knocks (probably will do fine now when it's cool). If it rattles under load, top off the tank with 91 octane.

HT... you were running your XR on E85 last summer weren't you?

Where in Idaho are U? A handfull of TTers are here in the Boise area. :banana:

Yeah, I was running E85 for a while. It may or may not have been a coincidence, but the selector disc in the petcock gave up the ghost shortly thereafter. It was questionable to begin with, but I noticed it had more drag when using E85. Although gasoline doesn't have a lot of lubricity, it still has a lot more than alcohol. I should revise my previous statement to say "E10 won't hurt anything."

I went by a Sinclair station southwest of Meridian, ID last summer and remember seeing a banner that said "no ethanol"....

Yeah, I was running E85 for a while. It may or may not have been a coincidence, but the selector disc in the petcock gave up the ghost shortly thereafter. It was questionable to begin with, but I noticed it had more drag when using E85. Although gasoline doesn't have a lot of lubricity, it still has a lot more than alcohol. I should revise my previous statement to say "E10 won't hurt anything."

I went by a Sinclair station southwest of Meridian, ID last summer and remember seeing a banner that said "no ethanol"....

Yea.. I live just this side of the Meridian city limits, there are a handfull of stations around who advertise alcohol free gas.

When you get back through this way... give me a shout!

Every station here is E10 now, I remember the good ole days when gas would last 6 months or more without any ill effects. I would burn the 91 like HT and thumpNRed said.

I've tried the 87 and it knocks on it so I went to the 92 that is sold around these parts.

Yea.. I live just this side of the Meridian city limits, there are a handfull of stations around who advertise alcohol free gas.

When you get back through this way... give me a shout!

I sure will if I have enough time. :banana: Last trip I was navigating/co-driving to pick up a car. 1608mi in 40hrs and 25min including a missed turn and alternate route tacking on a few extra hours. :lol: I might pick up some of that ethanol-free gas, too...

I think that Sinclair I saw (which we don't have down here) might have been in Marsing. Just throwing it out there because I have no idea where gunman is in ID. The prices listed were also about $0.40/gal lower than here in CA.

Edited by HeadTrauma

I sure will if I have enough time. :banana: Last trip I was navigating/co-driving to pick up a car. 1608mi in 40hrs and 25min including a missed turn and alternate route tacking on a few extra hours. :banana: I might pick up some of that ethanol-free gas, too...

I think that Sinclair I saw (which we don't have down here) might have been in Marsing. Just throwing it out there because I have no idea where gunman is in ID. The prices listed were also about $0.40/gal lower than here in CA.

Marsing?! You were out in the weeds!! :lol:

There used to be only a few stations in town with alcohol free gas (one was the Tesoro in Meridian), but now several of the Phillips 66 stations around have started carrying it also. My F150 doesn't seem to care one way or the other... 14mpg reagardless what I feed it :banana: Piggie gets 45 so she hauls my butt to work once the weather warms up.

thanks guys questions answered.

I live in Nampa so i think Philips 66 on garrity has the no octane stuff.

yea thumpnred born and raise in nampa,id I want to move out of nampa but would never ever consider moving from Idaho i was bit by the owyhee mountains at a young age and cant seem to get the venom out.give me a shout if ya need someone to go riding with.

yea thumpnred born and raise in nampa,id I want to move out of nampa but would never ever consider moving from Idaho i was bit by the owyhee mountains at a young age and cant seem to get the venom out.give me a shout if ya need someone to go riding with.

Will do... there are a few of us here on TT who have been talking about getting together this summer and throwing some roost (provided my engine goes back together and actually starts!:banana:)

I understand the venom... I grew up in the north end of Boise (long before it went Subaru and granola) and could hear the buzz in the foothills every summer. Got a paper route, bought a used Yamaha DT-125 and the rest is history.

if ya need help with ur engine let me know i have never worked on one before but i have rebuilt allot of snowmobile engines and quite a few toyota 22re's

If you end up having to use gas w/ ethanol, Star Brite makes a product called Star Tron that is supposed to keep the ethanol suspended in the gas via enzymes so that it doesn't muck up your bike. I've seen some good reviews in mx mags but never tried it myself.

Part of the problem with E10 is that the ethanol has a strong attraction to water. It will absorb it through vents and even plastic tank and fuel jug walls. Water saturation is the only thing I know of that will make ethanol drop out of suspension in gasoline. Star Brite doesn't say what it contains besides napthalene, but I really, really doubt anything in it can prevent water dropout from happening. Gasoline with 10% ethanol also seems to go varnish-ready a lot faster than the "old" stuff with MTBE, so I suspect that it causes chemical degradation too. It would be interesting to see if the currently available ethanol-free pump gas lasts longer in storage or not.

Marsing?! You were out in the weeds!!

I know! The whole trip was! I never said we stopped at Marsing, though. :banana: Ever been to McDermitt? :lol:

if ya need help with ur engine let me know i have never worked on one before but i have rebuilt allot of snowmobile engines and quite a few toyota 22re's

I like 22REs; I get 27-31mpg with one in my '94 pickup. :banana: I think two 650R engines make more power, though...

I like this topic, lotsa Idaho folks :banana:

Yeah, I get my motorcycle gas at Phillips. I say the higher the Octane rating the better, my manual recommends 92. Ethanol is crap. I grew up in Greenleaf, and I must say, Marsing is real close to a lot of good riding!!!! I miss the desert, I miss Owyhee county in general. Lotsa normal people out there amongst the sagebrush.