Sign in to follow this  

Wiring high & low beams together???

I finally got my PIAA dual light installed and working, using the stock light switch. However, when I switch to the highbeam light, the lowbeam light goes off. Is there a way to connect it, or link it, so that the lowbeam light stays on when the highbeam is selected?

I did some searches and found a couple of old posts saying it's been done, but they don't say how to do it...:banana:

You could always bypass the switch for low. That way, low is always on. When you go to high you'd get both.

If you do this, please comment on bulb life. I considered it but didn't go this route assuming the extra heat would cause early bulb failure.

(ultimately it'd be nice to have a 3 way switch. low, high, low&high.)

• Like 1

Also keep in mind the added load on the stator. Make sure the lighting coils on it can handle the combined load of both bulbs, as well as any other lights like the tail light, any blinkers, etc.

I tried this but the stator (Ricky Stator @ 100 watts to the lights) could not handle the combined load, both lights combined were dimmer than either alone. I was running an H4 35/65 bulb. Might work with the stock incandesent bulb, I think that was 35/35W.

You could always bypass the switch for low. That way, low is always on. When you go to high you'd get both.

If you do this, please comment on bulb life. I considered it but didn't go this route assuming the extra heat would cause early bulb failure.

(ultimately it'd be nice to have a 3 way switch. low, high, low&high.)

Thanks for the bypass idea - sounds like it would work great.

The posts I have found about running both elements at the same time said it was not good for bulb life - that they burned out quickly. But, since I am using 2 different lights, it shouldn't be an issue.

You will find that the bulb will blow as the combined temperatures of the two filaments will be excessive - have tried the idea and it failed (on a dark night, out in the country with no street lights) BEWARE

call ricky stator, they can tell you how to wire it up. i had a set of baja designs duals set up like that. driving beam on low beam, spot beam and driving beam on high beam. on/off switch on lights as well for starting. works good, not too much draw with 55W bulbs, 100W would be too much.

003.jpg