Sign in to follow this  

Help tracking down 1984 XR500 head

Hello, long time lurker first time poster.

Can someone help me track down a 1984 XR500 head? All the ones I end up finding on OEM parts sites are $500+

The one on the bike I am about to buy is really chewed up. Looks like the cam snapped straight in half (oil pump died?????) and the journals got roached.

The bike comes with a replacement head (which is definitely an XR head) but the decompression cover says "XR" instead of being ribbed which tipped me off to the fact that it's not the same. Further proof --> the spot where the reed valve would be is missing inside the replacement head.

What was the function of the reed valve in the head? Does anyone know if i I can run a non-reed head?

Some more questions.. since this thing is dry sump.. can test the oil pump by removing the oil return fitting at the bottom of the engine and kicking the bike a few times? If the pump is good it should spit oil right?

dry sump motor (frame tubes are the oil tank)

I'm going to call salvage yards tomorrow, someone's gotta have a proper head. Gotta keep looking through fiche to find out what year the head that he's got for it is