Sign in to follow this  

Rear wheel doesn't spin freely? 300xcw

I have an 09' 300 XCW and my rear wheel doesn't spin freely? My buddy's Honda when we put it on a stand and spin the rear wheel it will spin for days. (Very little drag)

But on my KTM when we spin the wheel it will almost immediately come to a stop. I checked another 09' KTM and it does the same thing?

Is this common on KTM's?

My bike hasn't had any damage. It's been like that since the day I got it.

Is there some type of adjustment I need to do to make the wheel spin freely?

Anyone have an idea of what might be holding or causing drag on the rear wheel?

If it's not your chain, the shaft seals are causing most of the drag... Take off the wheel and spacers, clean the seals and lubricate the inside of the seal surface (don't cram grease between the seal and bearing, that's useless and hard to clean off afterward. Put it back together and it should improve. This should be done as regular maintenance every time you take off the wheels... Front wheel needs the same care.

On a side note, I think that Enduro bikes have heavier duty bearings than MX so it may be the bearings themselves that are dragging. There's always a rubber seal protecting the bearing, this is great for maintenance, you practically never have to clean them and replace the grease inside but it does cause a lot more drag.

If you want no drag at all, there's this pro cyclist technique too ... Remove the seals, clean off the thick grease and lubricate the bearings with light oil :lol: That should roll well enough, but the bearings probably won't last more than a few rides :banana:

Finally, an O-Ring chain causes a lot, if not all of the drag. That's why No-Ring chains are still interesting... I can tell you my SX with its No-Ring out spins any bike I've seen so far.

it's the chain. probably hasn't really broken it yet. don't worry about it and ride. it's not enough to affect the performance offroad. you do have a 300 after all. :banana:

it will spin more freely once it gets broken in more, but never as well as a non Oring.

The stock chain on these bikes is ridiculously stiff and takes forever to loosen up. It has got to be a significant power robber.

When it comes time to replace the chain, get a DID VMX and you'll be surprised how freely the wheel spins.

I have an '09 300 also. Don't worry about it--I agree with the above posts--it's the chain. The '10 KTM has a different chain. Out of Dirt Bike mag this month..."The KTM uses a new X-ring chain that is dramatically better than last years dragger-which actually sucked horsepower".

The chain on my '09 is definitely stiff. Hasn't really loosened up much--but it sure has stretched!

Hey thanks guys! I was thinking that the chain was the cause. I've been looking to replace it.

I guess a new chain just moved up on my list of modifications.:banana::lol:

Hey thanks guys! I was thinking that the chain was the cause. I've been looking to replace it.

I guess a new chain just moved up on my list of modifications.:banana::lol:

How many hours do you have on your chain?

Your chain is fine I went 2500 miles on the stock chain and sprockets. You can use WD-40 on the chain as a cleaner and lube but add a good chain lube before a ride. You have an o-ring chain and the Honda doesn't another reason why it doesn't spin freely but your chain will last 3 times longer.

It's the chain, I run a non-oring on my 200xc because it seems to make a differance, but I run orings on all my bigger bikes. The oring chain will last at least twice as long and not eat up your sprokets as fast.

KTM300XC-W09 - at 16 hrs, you've got a long way to go before that chain loosens up. By the time it does, you'll be about ready for a new one.

I think I finally replaced the stock chain on my '08 300XC around 2000 miles, maybe a little less. As I recall, even at that point, it was still a little stiff. Even a brand new DID X-ring chain spun more freely than the old stock chain. I now have over 3000 miles on the DID. The wheel spin very freely. The chain has stretched very little. I've used the DID VMX on several bikes over the years and been very, very happy with their performance, resistance to stretching, and durability.

I would not recommend using an MX specific, non-sealed, non-O/X ring chain on your off road bike. It will offer the least resistance, but not last very long in off-road conditions.

Hey thanks for the input guys! I guess since I don't do high speed racing, and longevity is a good thing. I'll stick with this chain for now.

:banana:

Hey thanks for the input guys! I guess since I don't do high speed racing, and longevity is a good thing. I'll stick with this chain for now.

:banana:

There ya go:thumbsup: