Sign in to follow this  

Changing to 2-Stroke

Hi there guys,

Just a little bit of information about me: I am 13 years old, 5' 5 (5 foot 5) tall and I live in the UK.

I am interested to changing to a 85cc 2-Stroke from my Yamaha TTR 124 (4-Stoke).

I only ride my TTR around fields which my parents own. They have a few jumps built around the fields (quite small most of them).

I really like the TTR but it doesn't seem to have much power. Would a 85cc 2-Stroke have much more power?

How often do you have to strip and rebuild 2-Strokes? I have never owned one and I don't know how much work is involved.

What sort of parts do you have to replace regulary (remember I am only doing casual riding not racing) and how regulary?

Do you think I should get an 85cc 2-Stroke or just wait 2 or 3 years and get a 250 4-Stroke?

Any help would be appreciated!:banana:

James

everyone should ride an 85 during they're riding life, definantly go an 85.

an 85 two stroke will be around double the power of your TT-R, rebuild depend on how hard they're ridden, fast kids will need a piston every 20-30 hours, where as if your just cruising on it every 60-80 should be no worries (keep in mind you'll need to replace rings halfway between pistons), since 85's have heaps of room to work with you could easily strip it down, change the piston and have it going again in two hours, just get somone who's done it before to help you out the first few times.

everyone should ride an 85 during they're riding life, definantly go an 85.

an 85 two stroke will be around double the power of your TT-R, rebuild depend on how hard they're ridden, fast kids will need a piston every 20-30 hours, where as if your just cruising on it every 60-80 should be no worries (keep in mind you'll need to replace rings halfway between pistons), since 85's have heaps of room to work with you could easily strip it down, change the piston and have it going again in two hours, just get somone who's done it before to help you out the first few times.

Thanks alot for that!:lol:

Keep all the advice coming lads!:banana:

Get the 85 smoker. You won't believe how good it will feel compared to that TTR. Better brakes, better suspension, better motor, and way less weight. You will have to clean the air filter more often on the 85, but otherwise maintenance will be the same. If you are just play riding, you should easily be able to go a year on the top-end, and it is VERY easy and very cheap to replace. The Honda (and I think the Yamaha) 85s don't even have a powervalve assembly!

Make sure you run a 32:1 ratio, and it is very important to get someone to help you sort the jetting. The little bikes all tend to be jetted on the rich side and will foul plugs. Do not try to correct plug fouling by changing the oil ratio--you have to get the jetting right. I have found the table in the Honda manual to be be pretty accurate for jetting on the CR 85. I have not fiddled with the other brands very much, but there is plenty of help available on this site, and other sites with active mini forums like KTMtalk.

Get the 85 smoker. You won't believe how good it will feel compared to that TTR. Better brakes, better suspension, better motor, and way less weight. You will have to clean the air filter more often on the 85, but otherwise maintenance will be the same. If you are just play riding, you should easily be able to go a year on the top-end, and it is VERY easy and very cheap to replace. The Honda (and I think the Yamaha) 85s don't even have a powervalve assembly!

Make sure you run a 32:1 ratio, and it is very important to get someone to help you sort the jetting. The little bikes all tend to be jetted on the rich side and will foul plugs. Do not try to correct plug fouling by changing the oil ratio--you have to get the jetting right. I have found the table in the Honda manual to be be pretty accurate for jetting on the CR 85. I have not fiddled with the other brands very much, but there is plenty of help available on this site, and other sites with active mini forums like KTMtalk.

Thanks again!:banana:

I am thinking of getting the Honda CR85 or should I get a different one?

i really like the yz85 probably because i always wanted one and never had one.

I do like the YZ 85 but I prefer the Honda CR 85. This is my order of what I prefer:

1. Honda CR85

2. Yamaha YZ85

3. Kawasaki KX85 (Has to have new graphics though)

4. Suzuki RM 85

I did the same exact change a while ago and is a fun switch as soon as you get more used to it. From the bikes I would recommend you try to get a kawasaki or suzuki as they are not as hard hitting or harder to ride bikes compared to the others. I would also recommend you try to get a kx100 as they are basically a big bore version of the 85 that are a little taller. Here is the order I would pick in.

1. kx100 or kx85

2. rm85l ( big wheel) or rm85

3. cr85

4. ktm 85

5. yz85

Being 13 and probably growing fairly fast right now I would look more into a 100 or maybe since you ride mainly open stuff you could even look into a 125 and grow into it. I was 13 when I got my first 125 and 115 pounds and it was a bit much a first but it made me alot better rider.

I did the same exact change a while ago and is a fun switch as soon as you get more used to it. From the bikes I would recommend you try to get a kawasaki or suzuki as they are not as hard hitting or harder to ride bikes compared to the others. I would also recommend you try to get a kx100 as they are basically a big bore version of the 85 that are a little taller. Here is the order I would pick in.

1. kx100 or kx85

2. rm85l ( big wheel) or rm85

3. cr85

4. ktm 85

5. yz85

Thanks for that. What do you mean by hard hitting?

Does the 100cc have much more power than a 85cc?

Also, do any other companies do a 100cc 2-Stroke?

Being 13 and probably growing fairly fast right now I would look more into a 100 or maybe since you ride mainly open stuff you could even look into a 125 and grow into it. I was 13 when I got my first 125 and 115 pounds and it was a bit much a first but it made me alot better rider.

A 125 is quite alot more than a 85 (Double the Price)! I don't want to spend to much as I am only using it for general use not racing.

I much prefer having a smaller bike or one which fits me as I am alot more confident. I remember when I got my TTR my legs couldn't touch the ground at the same time, so I kept having to lean on one foot which doesn't really help your confidence.

Is there much advantage of having a 125 over an 85 (Except more power)?

A 125 is quite alot more than a 85 (Double the Price)! I don't want to spend to much as I am only using it for general use not racing.

I much prefer having a smaller bike or one which fits me as I am alot more confident. I remember when I got my TTR my legs couldn't touch the ground at the same time, so I kept having to lean on one foot which doesn't really help your confidence.

Is there much advantage of having a 125 over an 85 (Except more power)?

Yeah, it's advantage is you won't outgrow it as quickly as the 85.

I'd look into a KX100 as well, about the same price as the 85s, little taller and has more power.

Yeah, it's advantage is you won't outgrow it as quickly as the 85.

I'd look into a KX100 as well, about the same price as the 85s, little taller and has more power.

Cheers for that. Problem is that it doesn't seem many KX100 come for sale!:banana:

Oh well, I suppose I better get waiting!

Cheers for that. Problem is that it doesn't seem many KX100 come for sale!:banana:

Oh well, I suppose I better get waiting!

That is what I had to do but they are great bikes. Actually, the 100's have more power but are smoother compared to 85's and pull longer through the motor. By harder hit I mean when they really hit the power (powerband) it comes on faster and gives you a little more of a jolt.

That is what I had to do but they are great bikes. Actually, the 100's have more power but are smoother compared to 85's and pull longer through the motor. By harder hit I mean when they really hit the power (powerband) it comes on faster and gives you a little more of a jolt.

Thanks for that!:banana:

How often do you have to strip a 2-Stroke and what parts do you have to replace the most often?

Cheers

well, a kx100 is an awesome bike but has quite a bit more power than an 85. kx100s are pretty spazzy and i believe you should get an 85 first to get used to 2 strokes and leaarn them, they are a whole different ball game than a ttr125.. IMO

well, a kx100 is an awesome bike but has quite a bit more power than an 85. kx100s are pretty spazzy and i believe you should get an 85 first to get used to 2 strokes and leaarn them, they are a whole different ball game than a ttr125.. IMO

What do you mean by Spazzy? I think I am going to go for a Honda CR 85 Big Wheel as there are some quite nice looking used ones for sale.

Is there anything I should look or look out for when buying a secondhand 2-Stroke?

Going from a whimpy ttr to a 85 is going to feel huge to you. Don't get the 125 yet. I would get the cr or the yz 85. U must not be very mechanically inclined im guessing? for a rebuild you'll need gaskets and piston, rings, wrist pin, needle bearing. Your gonna get a shock when you hit that power band buddy. You've never felt one of them :banana:

Going from a whimpy ttr to a 85 is going to feel huge to you. Don't get the 125 yet. I would get the cr or the yz 85. U must not be very mechanically inclined im guessing? for a rebuild you'll need gaskets and piston, rings, wrist pin, needle bearing. Your gonna get a shock when you hit that power band buddy. You've never felt one of them :lol:

I have a little bit of knowledge about Mechanics but I have never owned a 2-Stroke and I don't know what is involved.

I just want to know how often I need to strip it and what parts will I need to replace to see how expensive and time consuming a 2-Stroke is going to be!

Can't wait to try one!:banana:

I replace the piston every winter on my wife's yz85. Do I need to?..not really but it makes me feel good. The cost for a complete wiseco top end kit (piston, gaskets, bearing) cost about $120 u.s. A blind chimp could do the work (it's that easy).

You will love a big wheel 85. Those who say that a 125 is faster, needs to ride them back to back. The 85 gives up 40cc, but also weighs 50lbs less. If you ever need more power, make it a supermini. Those things are insane fast!