Sign in to follow this  

2001 raptor 660 good first quad?

I've had a pitster pro pitbike for sale for the past 2 months without any offers. I want $1000 for it so I can buy a quad. Someone's offering me a 2001 raptor 660 all stock. I'm 15 5'9" and weigh 145lb. I won't be riding anything too tough I just want a quad for riding with friends. I was looking at a raptor 350. Would the 660 be too much for me? Is it reliable and won't cost me anything in the future? I'm thinking that this may be the only way to get rid of my bike. It's my first quad.

While the Raptor 700 and 250 are fine machines, both the 660 and 350 are turkeys!

The 350 is nothing but a warmed over Warrior (I was riding a Warrior before you were born!), and it is a poor design overall. While it isn't heavy on paper, it handles heavy and clunkey. The motor is reliable, but of ancient design. Performance is mediocre, at best.

The 660 has issues. The 01's had transmission problems, and the quad is narrow, top heavy, and tippsy.

Find a Honda 400EX or a Suzuki Z400!!!

Edited by reconranger

Is it reliable and won't cost me anything in the future?

Nothing made will fit that requirement.

I enjoyed my Raptor for trails, and was a lot of fun in the dunes . I never had any breakdowns with mine, but, maintenance is going to cost you, no matter what you buy.

For a beginner the 660 might be a little much but I think you'll grow into it fine; especially if you'll just be toodling around with friends. It is a little tipsy but just take it easy until you get used to it.

The 2001 models had a transmission problem with 2nd gear and it's not a matter of if the trannie will go out, it's when. Ask and see if it has the trannie upgrade, otherwise you'll be repairing it in the future.

Like what was stated before, all ATVs require regular/semi-regular maintenance and they do break.

if your getting a raptor get a newer one. my 05 hasnt gave me any trouble at all. it is top heavy so look into gettin an axle and tires to make it wider and ull love it. tho downfall is tht yes it might be to much for you since its your first quad.

Edited by 2005 Raptor 660r kid
messed up