Sign in to follow this  

What to do for a truck bed water tank for pressure washer?

I have been looking for a min 55 gallon tank to be able to put in the back of my truck bed for my pressure washer after the track. I was thinking about using a 55 gallon barrel on its side and welding in the legs and in/outlets, but it will take to much room in the back of my short bed to also carry my bike. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Danny

Industrial supply places like harbor freight and tractor supply have tanks designed to haul deisel fuel in a truck bed, but they are at least as big as a standard tool box, and expensive. It will take a lot of room in a short bed. I used to haul my yz250 around with a tool box in my short bed, and it barely fit with the tailgate down. But it did fit. A bed extender would add some peace of mind, too.

I found some here at http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?cat=25

they are about $150 with shipping and I think that it will leave me enough room too. I was just looking to fab something up and have a little fun doing so, but a plastic one sure would save a lot of hassle when I don't want to haul it.

Im going to keep checking around a little maybe on craigslist etc. for some RV storage tanks. Maybe I'll even call my dad as his friends have a huge automotive garage where there may be some old Tanks I could fit length wise on one side.

I will be getting a bed extender to keep a piece of mind with having everything in the back of the bed.

Anyhow I just rather cram everything in the bed then have to bring a bulky trailer around with me, esp. being I can keep my bike out here at school with me and just load it into my truck.

Hey Emerybrian, I was thinking that I just didn't know if it would fit alongside my bike? Actually I guess I could strap it upright in any corner and tip it down when I need to use it. How many gallons are those common blue drums? Do you think thats enough to clean one bike? my pressure washer is 2.5GPM max so I think even if it was a 33 gallon barrel I could clean my bike up.

I bought a little trailer and just drive it to the car wash on the way home and leave all the mud at the car wash for $2. I like emerybrian's set up, easy. I would hazard a guess you would only need 5-10 gallons to spray off one bike.

The drums are 55 gallons. It's fairly easy to move those drums around in the bed and tip them over on the side. And they are free, too. And a 2.5GPM PW is perfect, mine is too big actually and I have to move really quickly or I run out of water.

Get a plastic barrel, put it upright in your truck and install a valve at the bottom. The more water height you have, the easier it will be to build pressure.

you use 55 gallons to wash your bike!!! Holy heck.

I can usually wash 2 bikes with 1 drums. It depends on how muddy and what kind of mud it is. But my PW is like 5 GPM so it only gives 10 minutes of water per drum. I only bring it if it's muddy and I'm camping. I just use a plastic putty knife to scrape the thick stuff and clean the number plates well between motos. If it's a single day practice or race I just wash the bikes when I get home. Some guys wash there bike every time it comes off the track.

Wow, 450 lbs. just to rinse your bike off? I think I would find a car wash too. What are you hauling it in?

Last year I used a 3/4 ton van. The reason we bring the setup is because we don't leave the track between practice and race days. It kind sucks to work on the bike when it's packed full of dried mud. If it's not muddy the pressure washer stays at home usually, though. Many of the tracks have drum filling stations, too, so you don't need to haul full drum(s).

Plastic-mart makes a really good product. They have tons of different sizes, and you can tell them wherever you want the fittings put on the tank. I have a 95 gallon tank of theirs built into my van, and I don't know how iI ever raced before without one. I see a lot of guys at the races using drums, but to me they always seemed like they never fit good in weird places and kind of a hassle to have to tip over to use. Face the facts, thats a lot of weight to always be moving around. If you still want to go the drum route, go to golf courses near you to the maintenence facility to get them for free. I run a golf course and we go through at least 8-10 a year, usually 30 or 55 gallon ones. Just be sure to rinse out the inside a lot first with soap and water, as the fertilizers and chemicals that come in them are highly corrosive.

how many bikes are you cleaning? when i take mine i usally any take 25-30gallons for 1 bike, and i usally end up having 5-10gallons that i have to pour out of the ride home. that is muddy races too, washing boots,helmet, neck brace, and chest protector.

I found some here at http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?cat=25

they are about $150 with shipping and I think that it will leave me enough room too. I was just looking to fab something up and have a little fun doing so, but a plastic one sure would save a lot of hassle when I don't want to haul it.

Im going to keep checking around a little maybe on craigslist etc. for some RV storage tanks. Maybe I'll even call my dad as his friends have a huge automotive garage where there may be some old Tanks I could fit length wise on one side.

I will be getting a bed extender to keep a piece of mind with having everything in the back of the bed.

Anyhow I just rather cram everything in the bed then have to bring a bulky trailer around with me, esp. being I can keep my bike out here at school with me and just load it into my truck.

I think this would be better than a drum, the it will sit low, be more stable, and easier to secure down.

And you really do want to make sure that it's secure, a 50+ gallon tank of water is heavy, and will 'surge' and fly all over if it's not tied down securely.

go to any local farm store, or a TSC they have water containers that is where we got ares it looks like like a hybrid between the one you posted and a oil drum its has a flat base with groove to put tie downs around it. and the top half is a like a cylinder shape with the screw on cap int he center. and i dont believe it coasted more the $75 but that was years ago