Sign in to follow this  

Tank removal 2010

I want to know how to remove the tank since it's a pain to workn on the bike while it's hanging on the side. The manual says something about relieving the pressure from the gas lines, but what if you run the engine till there is no more gas, would there be pressure in the line

I had the same problem

I didnt use a lot of time on it, but it seems that it is easy to get to brake something

and as the manual says you have to replace the seal to put it together, i also dont think that the manual is all clear about the procedure

So i would also like to hear if somebody had luck with reusing

Kim

I think you can reuse the seal, because the manual says to replace every seal, gasket, or oring that you expose in the process of fixing, maintaining, or checking stuff. As far as the process of depressurizing goes, you can start the bike and remove the red plug at the right radiator cover to kill the fuel pump and it will die in a little while, which will leave the fuel line unpressurized, but with some gas still in it, not much. Use a rag or something to cover the connection when you pull it off. If you are worried, use some safety goggles too. Or a full face shield. Anyway, the other option is to literally run the bike out of gas. What I did was have a gas jug and a funnel ready so I could pour the contents of the gas tank into it when I swung it over on its side. Works well. Then if you can start it up and let it run a bit it will be completely out of gas. Same effect as removing the fuel pump power, but you know there is no gas that can get passed the pump's check valve.

As an aside, it would be nice to put in some of those auto-off disconnects that motion pro makes the first time you do this, if it is possible to take off the fuel pump side disconnect.

i removed the silly plastic cover over the connector and also the wire tether so i can just remove shroud bolts and tank bolt and lift it strait up, then i just unclip fuel line and pump connector and tank is on the bench.

did mine this way cause i like to put my race fuel back into a sealed container until the next weekend, and the only way to drain is is through the fill neck.

i removed the silly plastic cover over the connector and also the wire tether so i can just remove shroud bolts and tank bolt and lift it strait up, then i just unclip fuel line and pump connector and tank is on the bench.

did mine this way cause i like to put my race fuel back into a sealed container until the next weekend, and the only way to drain is is through the fill neck.

Sounds easy ,i was trying the same thing but couldnt get the fuel connector apart and was afraid to brake something, so i just hang it on the side

i will give it another try

any tricks for the connector??

Kim

get rid of the plastic cover and the rubber boot on back side of connector, i assume they are there to keep dirt out but if you're gonna have it apart as much as i will chunk it. also the wiring harness has a plastic tie/clip on the bracket that holds the tether, i cut it off.

also, if you leave it tethered you have to completely remove the left shroud. the way i'm doing it all i am removing are the 4 shroud/tank bolts and one tank/frame bolt. so much easier, plus you dont have to pinch the line to keep from spilling fuel out of the vent hose. first time i flipped mine back over and released vent clamp it shot gas all over the place. thats when i figured there had to be a better way lol.