Sign in to follow this  

Rear end wants to swap under acceleration...

To be more specific:

The track I ride is pretty hard-packed with lots of square-edged braking bumps and, more importantly, acceleration bumps. Coming out of corners under heavy acceleration, the back end doesn't want to stay planted. It seems to want to wander, and swap a little. What's the overall thinking when it comes to small, choppy bumps like that in terms of rebound and compression.

It would seem to me that you'd want to lessen the compression damping, but I'm not sure about rebound damping. Increase it? I might be pretty slow on the rebound right now. Could it be "packing"?

Clueless.

BTW, the sag is set at Honda's specs (100mm) and I should be on the proper spring (175lbs on the yellow spring).

Nice avatar:thumbsup:

I may be wrong but I think what you want to do is slow down the rebound and increase the compression. It sounds like the rear is bouncing all over the place on you. I'm interested in the answer to your question as well...hopefully by someone with more suspension experience than I.

the std valving IMO leaves a lot to be desired, it has only one face shim on rebound(so its hard to control the spring with that, and then on comp it has lots of 0.3mm shims in the high speed side, thats not a great idea either.....not easy to sort out with clickers really....

open up the rebound ''softer'' counter clockwise, 2 clicks try that betcha it works!

interesting to run across this thread this morning. My kid and his friend went to the track this weekend. My kid has a 2004 YZ45oF, and his friend has a 07 CRF250

Both bikes had the shock sag loosened up as much as possible to allow them to touch the ground (when they first got their bikes). Now they are taller and have no problem touching, I re-adjusted their shocks to as close to 100-110mm max. race sag as I could get, opened up the rebound and comp. and reset both to the middle settings on both bikes as a start. Then they went a quick ride, not one but both kids completely hated it and said the bike is too stiff and slides all over the place. I made sure their rear tires we not too hard as well, 10-12 lbs. in both.

I tried to convince them both that having bikes set so soft was hurting them off of jumps as well as in whoops, but they both insisted I don't know what i am talking about, and wanted me to put the bikes back like there were (very soft, over 120-130mm race sag) and the clickers turned out to around 5-6 click from all the way open. To me the suspension just is way too soft and springy, but they both like it that way... is that weird or just something they think they are use to and don't want to try it the "right" way? :banana:

the right way would be the correct springs? the crf is set up firm at the best of times...

well in both cases, setting the race sag at 103mm on the Yam and 108 on the Honda, the free sag ended up at 32mm (Yam) and 35 mm (Honda) on each bike which is about right if you ask me...