Sign in to follow this  

03 yz 250

chance to buy 1 in new condition, what would be a fair price, and other details on this ride will help in decision. Vet mx expert who rides for fun/exercise.:banana:

I loved my 03. Sadly, I just sold it to finance upgrades to my new 450.

Anyway, I would not go over $2000 no matter how nice it was (I got $1800 out of mine and it had quite a few accessories). If it was actually new, on a dealers floor, maybe $2500. They are great bikes but the suspension on the 06 and later bikes was so much of an upgrade, they really devalued the older steel framed bikes. The good news is the motors are claw hammer reliable, and can be modded to make huge power. When I bought the bike, I was 270 pounds (235 now) and that YZ would haul my fat ass up ANY hill, no matter how steep or how long.

My 03 had been ported and generally cracked-out by the previous owner and was, by far, the fastest 250 I have ever ridden (top end was similar to my 2001 TM 300e). The only performance issue I ever had with mine was I could never get the forks plush enough for the tight nasty trails that I ride. For MX, it would probably been fine, but I'm not a track rat.

Things to watch out for: Get the bike on a stand and make sure the bars turn smooth and easy side to side to check for head bearing problems. Check the wheel bearings and motor mounts also--mine had several broken motor mounts I had to weld up from being raced by the previous owner.

Good luck with your purchase, and keep us posted! :banana:

• Like 1

ive had quite a few 250 2t bikes over the last few years including 05 cr250,03 rm250 01 cr250,96 cr250,96 kx250 , 88 cr250, and i just recently got my first YZ and actually my first yamaha ever. I picked up a fine example of an 03 250 and honestly i have to say im never looking back. I am already looking at an 06 yz250 to add to my stable lol.

YZ all the way, you will not be dissapointed :banana::thumbsup:

Would rather have the aluminum frame, they will look better longer. Last YZ was a 2000 250. Decisions / decisions!:banana:

People must value looks a LOT more than I......I could care less how my bike (an '03) "looks" compared to the aluminum framed models. My carb is easy to access and the thing flat out rips!! Yeah, suspension work in the future would be a welcome change, but you can't beat the '03 for price vs. performance...

Only reason looks [aluminum frame] are important is for resale value. There you have it!

Only reason looks [aluminum frame] are important is for resale value. There you have it!

There is a difference in the frame's rigidity.. :banana: That being said, some riders probably prefer the flex of the steel frame.. Takes some of the harshness out of the bumps.. I prefer the turning precision offered by the stiffer alum frame and newer forks.. I compensate the harsh bumps by running a 20" front tire and soft fork valving... :lol:

Its preference.. But 1800-2000 for a clean 03 (just sold one for 1900) vs up to 3000-3500 for a clean 06+ ??? Just preference