Sign in to follow this  

2003 yz 125 fork seal replacement

hey guys,

was wondering if anyone could help my mechanical noobie ass out :lol:. my fork seals are starting to leak oil down my forks and i would like to replace them. my service manual (which i think is for a 2002) says to take it into my dealer. are they REALLY that hard/labour intensive to replace? if anyone could let me know how to do it, or knows a link on the forum that explains how to properly pick the correct part and switch them out, i would be eternally grateful :banana:

thanks again!

Mitch

Rocky mountain mc/atv has all the do it yourself videos for this stuff,right now on Motoutah.com there is a thread on seal replacement with a couple of videos too.Simple stuff .TELL EM HADAMEO SENT YEAH

I have never serviced USD forks but I can tell you than if you haven't tried to clean crude out of the seals first you might be pleasantly surprised if you do that first.

Take a film negative (everyone has one somewhere in there house with there old pictures). Take and trim the corners of the film negative with a pair of scissors slide it carefully up under the wiper seal and push it under the main seal, run it around the circumference of the fork tube and pull down after each revolution. Keep doing this until the negative comes up clean. good luck.

Hi mate

Are you sure they need replacement? Cleaning them could stop the leak too.

But to change them here is a video

Regards

Arnego2

I dont think that video will help seeing that the 03" forks are not twin chamber.

Hi there

could be, but they give you an idea that most mechanical work is really do-able.

In my case cleaning does almost always do the trick. I cut a slim plastic strip, as I don't have film strips, hehee but in for they are about 2 inches long , 1 inch wide and .3mm thick. I take off the dust seal and push the plastic under the seal, the flowing oil should clean the seal. I wipe everything dry and apply grease (Lithium free I haven't got a clue if my grease is free of that stuff but it is not mentioned so I take it).

The dust seal back into its position and they stay dry for some time.

regards

Arnego2