Sign in to follow this  

07 front sprocket

what is the best way to take the front sprocket off an 07? that thing is on there with no intention of coming off. i put the bike in 1st gear and it continues to spin.

I just went throught this. Not sure who put it on the bike before I got it but nothing I did could get it off. I had all kinds of things wedged between the tire etc. I ended up grinding one side of the nut untill I could just make out the threads showing through. Then I took a nut splitter on the other 5 sides just enough to distort the shape and release the threads. One small tap with a chisle and it spun off.

I did not like the idea of putting heat on it to expand it so that was not an option.

Worth a shot.

Later

put just the metal chain guard thing back on and tighten it up, the little metal piece that goes under the big plastic guard, then put your chain over the top of the sprocket but make it so its all kinked up so it locks the sprocket from spinning, then put the right size socket on with a breaker bar and a long piece of pipe and bang, she'll come right off. if not then whoever had that thing before you was strong as shit.

An impact wrench is the best way to get the nut off. I would not put the bike in gear to hold the tire. This puts all the stress on the gears in the transmission. This could get bad when using an impact wrench as you would then transfer the hammering forces to the gears. Wedge the tire and hit the nut with a strong impact wrench (an air impcat wrench works best, but I used an electric one). Also, make sure the washer that is bent over the nut is completely flat. Where it folds over the nut can easily have a burr on it which still holds the nut. A flat punch works well to completely flatten out the washer. The nut was put on WAY TO TIGHT at the factory.

CoKTM

Impact with 120psi. I have never seen a bike that had the countershaft sprocket on so tight.

Did mine the other day expecting the worst. Tryed with a breaker bar first, with no luck. Hit it with a impact wrench, 5 seconds later it was off.

The old thread of this topic was such a laugh.

I tired a decent sized impact wrench with someone standing on the rear brake pedal and no joy. I ended up putting a solid alum 30mm diam rod thru the rear sprocket and across the swing arm with rags so no scratches. Then tensioned the chain a little and used a breaker bar with an extension so it was about 3 ft long. Gears in neutral.

put just the metal chain guard thing back on and tighten it up, the little metal piece that goes under the big plastic guard, then put your chain over the top of the sprocket but make it so its all kinked up so it locks the sprocket from spinning, then put the right size socket on with a breaker bar and a long piece of pipe and bang, she'll come right off.
I think if I tried that then the bolts on that case saver would rip and crack the alum case holes. I had to use some serious torque to get the nut off.

Since then I've never re-torqued the nut so tight and with 3 more front sprockets I've never had any signs of them coming loose.