Sign in to follow this  

Anitmicrobial gear cleaning spray?

With my first season of off road riding with the correct gear starting up, I am realizing that it gets sweat soaked / nasty very quickly. Things like pants, gloves and riding shorts don't seem like they will hold up to being washed all of the time, and they take awhile to dry. I usually ride about 4 days a week so its really not possible to wash and dry this stuff all of the time anyways.

Is there any antimicrobial type spray for use on gear? It would be nice to just lay it out and spray something on it after a ride and let it air out, and then wash it every other week or so. Thanks.

If you are riding that often you obviously need more sets of gear. I have worn my stuff two days in a row, including socks. Sure it stinks, but you cant smell it when you are pumping out motos. Not sure what the weather is like where u are, but I wash my stuff in the evening after riding and hang it out and it is dry by the morning. Shouldnt be too hard, but I wouldnt be spraying anything on my gear.

:banana:

I ride alot as well, 4-5 days a week and it wll often be weeks of riding between my gear washes :banana:

Just hang it out to air out, it'll be muddy and stinky again in 15min after you wash it anyways.

It may be a little gross to put on but it's not really going to be bothering you anymore once you're riding :lol:

You're gear will be fine in the wash. I put mine on delicate, let it soak in a detergent mix for about an hour, and let the washer have at it. Works great. For better results (especially with white gear) add 1/4 cup of oxyclean and a few ounces of a degreaser such as greased lightning. If you are riding a lot, multiple sets of gear a nice to have. Check out some closeout deals. I got 2 full sets of msr stuff for $110 off RMATV, but I had to order that back in May to get the sizes I needed. Nothing beats coming home, swapping gear out, and going riding the next day. Don't forget your helmet liner as well. I'd recommend hand washing that. My washer ate two of my thor liners, but the PU rep got me another one under warranty.

I ride almost everyday after work, and some times it is literally weeks before I wash my gear. I have 3 sets of matching pants, jerseys, gloves etc... So it does make life easier just chucking on a clean set and hitting the track.

Delicate wash in a machine is all that is needed, with ALOT of soaking time depending on the state of the clothes.

never had a problem with normal washing without any soak, just stick the stuff in and hit wash

some of our white gear gets georgia clay stains, but there's nothing you can do about that, no amount of soak would help, I dont really care anyway, it's just riding gear

I have a few full sets, thank god for rocky mountain's closeout prices

Yeah I was more concerned about bacteria and funk growing in my gear than it smelling a little bit. I have washed it and it has been fine, I have just felt like it will wear out a lot quicker and fall apart being washed all of the time.

Probably a good idea to pick up a couple more pairs of socks and riding shorts though.

Yeah I was more concerned about bacteria and funk growing in my gear than it smelling a little bit. I have washed it and it has been fine, I have just felt like it will wear out a lot quicker and fall apart being washed all of the time.

Probably a good idea to pick up a couple more pairs of socks and riding shorts though.

I still have gear that I wear from 2003/2004 that has been washed hundreds of times. :banana:

The only pair of pants I had fall apart from the wash were no fear pants. They were 4 years old atleast, previously ripped, and the washer just added to them. As far as antimicrobial stuff, I usually toss an anitmicro gym bag ball in my gear bag. You could always spray them down with axe or something. Deodorant is somewhat antimicrobial for the most part and makes you smell good! :lol: