Sign in to follow this  

12v Tent trailer battery

How long should a battery last in a tent trailer? I got an automotive battery 550cca and turned on all 5 interior lights and the one exterior light and after an hour the lights where significantly dimmer. I know a deep cycle is best for this type of use but the automotive battery was free. When we go camping we use only two lights at the most, occational use water pump for the sink so I know it will last alot longer but just wanted some input from fellow campers. :banana:

Install some LED lighting, and a small solar charger, and the automotive battery will last quite awhile. You'll never have the capacity of the marine deep cycle, especially with a tiny 550a battery. Be carefull, because automotive batteries don't like to drop below 11.4 volts. After that, you run the risk of permanent damage and the possibility of never holding a full charge again. This is why people spring the $70 and use a WallyWorld RV/Marine deep cycle.

How long should a battery last in a tent trailer? I got an automotive battery 550cca and turned on all 5 interior lights and the one exterior light and after an hour the lights where significantly dimmer. I know a deep cycle is best for this type of use but the automotive battery was free. When we go camping we use only two lights at the most, occational use water pump for the sink so I know it will last alot longer but just wanted some input from fellow campers. :banana:

CCA isn't the number you need to look at for this type of use. Look at the Amp-Hour rating.

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/amp_hours.asp

I only turned on two lights like we do when camping and the battery had 13.75volts when started this little test and four hours later had 13.01 volts. I think for now this battery will be fine but gonna check out the option of L.E.D. lighting.

Go recycle some bottles & cans...Get yourself a couple of Grp 27 Marine/Deep cycle batteries...:banana:

That's what I ran for years on my 2004 Baja Z10 tent trailer...

If you have double lights like my trailer did you can pull one bulb when you are on the battery. Still get most of the light but use less juice.