Sign in to follow this  

How deep should be flywheel installed?

Hi guys,

I am trying to install the flywheel on my Honda CR 125 2002 and it doesn't go fully on the crankshaft. You can see in the photo that it still could go about 1mm deeper. However, I tried to heat the flywheel and freeze the crank and it didn't help. I also tried to install it deeper by tightening flywheel nut but it didn't work either. Although I don't remember how it was installed before disassebling. The crank and flywheel are both Honda OEM.

Should I just leave it or something is wrong? How is it on your bikes?

fly.jpg

As long as you have the key in the crank correct, install the washer, nut, torque it and run it.

It should be alright. Just run it a little while and make sure its not rubbing then take it off after a lil bit of riding and try to tighten it again. If its still tight, run it like you stole it

Perfect advice.

You should have a small amount of shoulder to give the washer and nut a firm purchase.

Ride it for a bit and check it.

If it's properly torqued your in the green :banana:

That's the way it's supposed to fit. The crankshaft is tapered so as you torque the flywheel nut down it kind of wedges the crank into the flywheel. That's why you need a flywheel puller to get the flywheel off.

Thank you all for the replies, really helped. It turned out to be my silly mistake. It doesn't have to go any deeper, it should be like is now. Easy to check, I assembled all the ignition and then looked where small metal nipple touches magnet while it's turning. Theres is some black trace left and now that nipple touches it again in the same spot. So everything is fine and I hope it will run ok :banana: