Sign in to follow this  

94 kx80

Just got a 94 kx80 on a trade. It has been sitting for about a year so i cleaned the carb really good and changed the oil and coolant. It fires right up but when you give it throttle it acts like its flooding out. Ran fine before it was parked so i think the jetting is ok. Has stock pipe with fmf silencer. Any ideas?:banana:

...i cleaned the carb really good and changed the oil and coolant. It fires right up but when you give it throttle it acts like its flooding out.

Are you using fresh premix?

Sounds like the carb (seems that's usually the problem with bikes that have sat unused for an extended period of time). Are you sure you cleaned all of the small passages in the carb body? Some of them are tiny and it's really easy not to get all the gum/varnish out of them. Have you checked the needle/seat and float level?

I think it may be the choke. It runs like the choke is on and when i turn it on while the bike running the bike runs the same, no change.

what about your fuel filter? if you have a partially clogged filter wouldn't that make it run lean when you give it gas?

This is probably a long shot, but check your spark plug wire to make sure it's not shorting out. You can check it at night, away from any light sources (i.e., in the dark), and see if you're getting visible sparks from the lead to ground. I'd still re-check the carb first...

I will check the plug wire tonight when it gets dark. I have cleaned the the carb 4 times now so i think i got it pretty clean. Filter is clean, good gas flow to the carb. Thanks for all the help guys.

I have cleaned the the carb 4 times now so i think i got it pretty clean.

Not to beat a dead horse, but you are dis-assembling the carb when you clean right and not just spraying carb cleaner into the assembled carb? It really sounds like a carb issue to me since you say the choke makes no difference. What position was the clip on the needle? How many turns out on the air screw?

Yes I dis-assembled the carb and cleaned both jets and all passages with a small piece of wire and air hose. The i didnt know you could adjust on this carb so I havent touched that. The air screw was backed out 1 and a half turns, i tried adjusting it with the bike running and go a little better but still runs like crap. The bike was stored inside. I havent messed with it for a day or two, gonna go out in a minute and start over. Gonna clean the carb 1 more time, put a new plug and fresh premix in it again and see what happens. Its obviously a carb problem, i just cant figure it out. I'm trying every idea you guys throw at me so thanks for the help.