Sign in to follow this  

the joy of a budget bike buildup...

...well, I picked up a '99 KX250 for $1,100 in December. I thought I'd check out it's usefulness as a part trails / part track bike. My current '01 KDX200 has its place in tight woods, but I was looking for something I could ride with my 17yr old son and his '07 RMZ450.

We hit Broadriver MX park in West, GA regularly and they combine MX and Trails for race events. Soo, how can I go wrong for $1100 I thought, as the bike was in fair condition. What I didn't expect was to enjoy the power delivery, suspension and handling so much more than the 'ol friend KDX (even with updated suspension)...

I'm 220lbs, so the suspension isn't harsh but feels just a little soft. Besides the suspension work I'll plan, I am throwing on a Gnarly, Boysen and skid plate. Going for more 'low-end'...

Anyway, a strong woods/track bike for under $1,800 (with upgrades) and the faithful ping of the 2 stroke brings back many a summer on 2 wheels...

I've never really been on a late model pumpkin from Austria, I know their good, but there is still a lot of life in the old big 4 MX 2 strokes!!!

Next season, maybe an Eric Gore 285kit for the KX??? Any thoughts on the big bore kits?

"Budget" build-ups always make me grin.

When I bought my KDX, I "wasn't going to have over $2000 in it total". Well..

Closer to $3000 than $2000 now. Still would like to have a Boyseen Rad Valve, some RB head and carb work, KX forks,... :banana:

P.S... Welcome to the Smokey Green side of TT!

I have a 310 kit in my '00 250, I like it a lot.