PW80 not running well

Bike was bought new several years ago and sadly has not been taken the best care of in terms of routine maintenance. Especially winterizing. Bike has little use. I am fairly familiar with my XR but not a 2 stroke.

When I first cut on the gas and tried to crank it a lot of fuel kept coming out of the overflow tube from the carb. ?? It will crank easily and idle but will not run in gear or with choke even partially off. Bike will idle and rev with choke all the way on. Try to take the choke down and bog then die. Put it in gear with choke all the way on it will just bog under strain.

It has never been winterized so I guess it is in need of cleaning out the fuel passages and perhaps even the carb. I read something about the floats can cause the fuel to spill out of the over flow tube. ?? New plug too probably. Have not got a clue when it comes to the oil stuff. Clean that out too?

Before I get into it I have a question about the float, how does it get out of whack in the first place? I was just wondering if someone could demystify this for me. According to the manual if it is off then there is a tab that would need to be bent some to correct? Premature to say this will need to be done, just curious.

The PW80 float height self-adjustment is a mystery to me. The bike we have is a wrenchbike/playbike. My 14 year old and I mess with it so he can see what various changes do to the bike for better or worse without spending beaucoup bucks and most importantly, with out taking his normal bike out of service.

I think the floats can't handle being slammed hard, from jumping, wheelies and such. Even so, when the bike wasn't being abused in this fashion, the float height would slowly creep from ideal to runs kinda crappy to barely idles to pissing like a race horse.

Just get used to adjusting the float perhaps once every five to 10 hours of trail use and around 15-20 hours of backyard putting around use. It's a simple enough adjustment considering the bike requires almost no effort otherwise.

Get in the habit of checking it each time you add oil to the oil injector tank, which in my experience is about once per 10 hours.