Sign in to follow this  

New DRZ400E Owner Question

This site is a great tool, I have a lot of my questions already answered but was wondering if there was an easy way to drain the carb while it is on the bike. On my other bikes there is a visible screw you just turn and gas leaks out the overflow tube. It has been setting for over a year according to the previous owner and it will not start. I installed a new spark plug, new Air Filter and all oil and Radiator levels are good. When we first tried to start it, it acted like it was going to start and then that was it...nothing just cranking (New Battery). I thought we might have flooded it so that is why I am wondering about the drain screw. Also, I wanted to know what your typical startup procedure is, I have read 20 different things but can't find one specific to the DRZ400. I love looking at this baby but I really want to ride it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

You did not identify the year of your DRZ400E so I will assume it is early enough to still have the Keihin FCR carb. No easy drain. There is a plug on the bottom of the bowl that is a little hard to get to. But you might as well assume you have to remove and clean the carb if it has been sitting that long. Bite the bullet and figure out how to get the carb off.

When it is off, record all the jet numbers and post the results.

Typical start up is- gas on, choke on, key on, no throttle, crank with E start. Should fire up immediately. Reduce choke when it starts to run ragged.

The drain plug is the big bolt on the bottom of the float bowl. It's not too difficult to deal with unless you're the ham fisted sort. You can even change the main jet through this bolt hole (gotta be careful to get the jet started correctly, then snug it up gently with 6mm box end wrench). My fingers are kinda large and sometimes stiff from arthritis and I can still do it ok. However, like the man said, if it has set that long you may as well bite the bullet and pull the carb and give it a good cleaning. The pilot jet is most likely clogged and will need cleaning or replacing. The first time to pull and replace the carb is the worse. After that it gets much easier.

Start up procedure is per Noble.

is there no way to clean / replace the pilot jet without removing this carb (FCR 39 original - 10 DRZ-E) ??? or is it only the main jet that is accessible from the drain hole?

is there no way to clean / replace the pilot jet without removing this carb (FCR 39 original - 10 DRZ-E) ??? or is it only the main jet that is accessible from the drain hole?

Nope

Yep

The slant body FCR39's drain plug is just large enough to change the main jet, but no way to get to the pilot jet. Wish you could get to both but you can't. It's not that hard to pull the carb and replace it - once you've done it. That first time is a booger simply because you're not real sure what you can do. Some guys loosen the subframe and let it (and the air box) move back away from the carb intake side. I've not done that, but can see how it would make the job a lot easier. I use silicon spray on the rubber pieces to ease reinstallment of the carb.

Whoa, what does the "...original - 10 DRZ-E" mean?

If its been sitting up for a year, I would remove the carb, disassemble and clean it thoroughly. Since you have it off the bike, be sure to do eddies mod and wire the ap arm. I must have rejetted my carb in the last 6 yrs what seems like a 100 times trying to get it all just right and only finally got it all just right when I wired the ap arm per eddie.

typo, meant 01 not 10.

after sitting for about 5 months, i emptied the float bowl, put new gas in but she ain't happening. so looks like i have to bite the bullet and get to know my bike better.

any dead clear tutorials you guys are aware of to walk me through this...i need lots of help on this one haha.

should i do the JD and 3X3 while im at it?

cheers.