Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

88 XR600 magnesium side case question

Recommended Posts

Well I pulled the stator cover to seal my leak which I thought was caused by not sealing the stator wires grommet to the case. When I got it off, I noticed some JB Weld on the bottom, sealing what is apparently a crack in the area where the clutch pushrod sits in the cup. I suspect this is the scource of my leak. It looks as if I need a new staor cover as I don't believe the magnesium covers can be repaired. Am I correct? Also, is there any way to restore these covers as the used one I found locally looks pretty beat. Thanks for the help.

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Magnesium can be welded, but a lot of welders don't want to deal with it. It's made more difficult with the side covers because they are porous castings and absorb oil. Personally, I would look for another cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JB weld can work well, but it depends on the exact nature of the damage. I know of a few bikes that ran with a JB weld sealed cover for 10 years. Doing the proper prep is important. JB weld does not stick to oily metal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. You can actually feel the other side of the crack inside the bore where the bushing that holds the end of the clutch pushrod. I guess I just need to get a new case. How would I get the old JB Weld off? Just grind it? Ah the joys of a used bike. I have a feeling the previous owner might have pounded in this area to get the case off, as I don't see any other way to have anything hit this area. Maybe I need to come up with a way to pressure test this area to make sure this really is my leak.

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks guys. You can actually feel the other side of the crack inside the bore where the bushing that holds the end of the clutch pushrod. I guess I just need to get a new case. How would I get the old JB Weld off? Just grind it? Ah the joys of a used bike. I have a feeling the previous owner might have pounded in this area to get the case off, as I don't see any other way to have anything hit this area. Maybe I need to come up with a way to pressure test this area to make sure this really is my leak.

Bill

The side covers can easilly be cleaned up. Here is the XL600R side cover that I fleabayed when it came out of the box:

IMGP3180.jpg

Stripped and cleaned up:

IMGP3187-1.jpg

JB Weld fix. Here's my stator cover with the hole the shifter poked in it:

P1080013.jpg

The patch:

P1080014.jpg

As it sits today:

P3130064.jpg

P3130063.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The side covers can easilly be cleaned up. Here is the XL600R side cover that I fleabayed when it came out of the box:

IMGP3180.jpg

Stripped and cleaned up:

IMGP3187-1.jpg

JB Weld fix. Here's my stator cover with the hole the shifter poked in it:

P1080013.jpg

The patch:

P1080014.jpg

As it sits today:

P3130064.jpg

P3130063.jpg

Beautiful work ThumpNRed..It looks better than new......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beautiful work ThumpNRed..It looks better than new......

+1! That looks great! I've never seen one patched like that. I'm guessing the aluminum (?) plate is JB-Welded on top of the case? I'm sure that made it stronger than stock anyway. Great idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey ThumpNRed, how'd you do it? That, is sweet! I'm actually jealous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an FYI to anyone thinking of stripping their side covers: the magnesium('83-90?) ones will have a strong tendency to corrode if left bare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job on the cases! Did you powder coat or rattle can them? I remember the old GB500 cases which were polished. I always thought that they looked pretty cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just an FYI to anyone thinking of stripping their side covers: the magnesium('83-90?) ones will have a strong tendency to corrode if left bare.

That's good to know cuz I thought they looked nice bare too.

But looking at ThumpNReds finished product makes me want to do my old 600's cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+1! That looks great! I've never seen one patched like that. I'm guessing the aluminum (?) plate is JB-Welded on top of the case? I'm sure that made it stronger than stock anyway. Great idea!

Yep... cut and shaped the patch plate and JBWelded it in place... then sanded the edges smooth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That's good to know cuz I thought they looked nice bare too.

But looking at ThumpNReds finished product makes me want to do my old 600's cases.

I thought of putting a clarcoat over the bare magnesium side cover... but thought I'd try something a bit different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK ThumpnRed, beautiful work. Now come on I want the details of how you did it and what paint did you use that looks the same as Honda uses on the Magnesium covers. Thanks.

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×