Sign in to follow this  

88 XR600 magnesium side case question

Well I pulled the stator cover to seal my leak which I thought was caused by not sealing the stator wires grommet to the case. When I got it off, I noticed some JB Weld on the bottom, sealing what is apparently a crack in the area where the clutch pushrod sits in the cup. I suspect this is the scource of my leak. It looks as if I need a new staor cover as I don't believe the magnesium covers can be repaired. Am I correct? Also, is there any way to restore these covers as the used one I found locally looks pretty beat. Thanks for the help.

Bill

Magnesium can be welded, but a lot of welders don't want to deal with it. It's made more difficult with the side covers because they are porous castings and absorb oil. Personally, I would look for another cover.

JB weld can work well, but it depends on the exact nature of the damage. I know of a few bikes that ran with a JB weld sealed cover for 10 years. Doing the proper prep is important. JB weld does not stick to oily metal.

Thanks guys. You can actually feel the other side of the crack inside the bore where the bushing that holds the end of the clutch pushrod. I guess I just need to get a new case. How would I get the old JB Weld off? Just grind it? Ah the joys of a used bike. I have a feeling the previous owner might have pounded in this area to get the case off, as I don't see any other way to have anything hit this area. Maybe I need to come up with a way to pressure test this area to make sure this really is my leak.

Bill

Thanks guys. You can actually feel the other side of the crack inside the bore where the bushing that holds the end of the clutch pushrod. I guess I just need to get a new case. How would I get the old JB Weld off? Just grind it? Ah the joys of a used bike. I have a feeling the previous owner might have pounded in this area to get the case off, as I don't see any other way to have anything hit this area. Maybe I need to come up with a way to pressure test this area to make sure this really is my leak.

Bill

The side covers can easilly be cleaned up. Here is the XL600R side cover that I fleabayed when it came out of the box:

IMGP3180.jpg

Stripped and cleaned up:

IMGP3187-1.jpg

JB Weld fix. Here's my stator cover with the hole the shifter poked in it:

P1080013.jpg

The patch:

P1080014.jpg

As it sits today:

P3130064.jpg

P3130063.jpg

The side covers can easilly be cleaned up. Here is the XL600R side cover that I fleabayed when it came out of the box:

IMGP3180.jpg

Stripped and cleaned up:

IMGP3187-1.jpg

JB Weld fix. Here's my stator cover with the hole the shifter poked in it:

P1080013.jpg

The patch:

P1080014.jpg

As it sits today:

P3130064.jpg

P3130063.jpg

Beautiful work ThumpNRed..It looks better than new......

Beautiful work ThumpNRed..It looks better than new......

+1! That looks great! I've never seen one patched like that. I'm guessing the aluminum (?) plate is JB-Welded on top of the case? I'm sure that made it stronger than stock anyway. Great idea!

Hey ThumpNRed, how'd you do it? That, is sweet! I'm actually jealous.

Just an FYI to anyone thinking of stripping their side covers: the magnesium('83-90?) ones will have a strong tendency to corrode if left bare.

Good job on the cases! Did you powder coat or rattle can them? I remember the old GB500 cases which were polished. I always thought that they looked pretty cool.

Just an FYI to anyone thinking of stripping their side covers: the magnesium('83-90?) ones will have a strong tendency to corrode if left bare.

That's good to know cuz I thought they looked nice bare too.

But looking at ThumpNReds finished product makes me want to do my old 600's cases.

+1! That looks great! I've never seen one patched like that. I'm guessing the aluminum (?) plate is JB-Welded on top of the case? I'm sure that made it stronger than stock anyway. Great idea!

Yep... cut and shaped the patch plate and JBWelded it in place... then sanded the edges smooth.

That's good to know cuz I thought they looked nice bare too.

But looking at ThumpNReds finished product makes me want to do my old 600's cases.

I thought of putting a clarcoat over the bare magnesium side cover... but thought I'd try something a bit different.

OK ThumpnRed, beautiful work. Now come on I want the details of how you did it and what paint did you use that looks the same as Honda uses on the Magnesium covers. Thanks.

Bill