1988 KX125 spark issue

I have been rebuilding a 1988 KX125. Last week when I re-installed the stator, CDI, and ignition coil (with new wire and cap) the bike had spark. Today I finally got around to installing the carb and tank and after kicking for what seemed like eternity plus a day, I decided to check for spark. Yep you guessed it, no spark. I tired a second new plug, no luck there. I have the manual and it describes how to check the stator and ignition coil, so that was my next step.

There are two sets of wires from the stator it says to test.

1) White/green to white/red, 4.0-6.0 ohms, mine was 4.7 ohms.

2) Black/white to black/yellow, 422-648 ohms, no reading on my digital meter, yes I changed the range.

It also describes how to test the primary and secondary on the ignition coil.

1) The primary ohms on the low side; .8-1.2 ohms, mine was .8 ohms.

2) The secondary; 5.0-6.8 k ohms, no reading on the meter.

It seems weird to me both would seem to test bad when they were working last week? I can't test the CDI so I have no idea if it is working correctly or not.

Any suggestions? Electrical has always been my weak link when it comes to mechanics. Wondering if maybe I didn't do the tests correctly or something.

Edited by AdvCoop

I know I didn't get any responses, but here's an update. I pulled the stator and ignition coil off today and they both tested fine off the bike. Weird. I put everything back together and voila, great spark! I screwed the plug in, turned the gas on, pulled the choke and 3 kicks later it was running. After having the engine completely disassembled it was awesome to hear it run.

Here is a link to the photobucket slideshow of it so far. I haven't done aesthetics yet and the day-glo orange fork boots are coming off more than likely :-)

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/SVCoop/Bikes/KX125/?albumview=slideshow

Edited by AdvCoop

Sorry I had the folder set to private by accident.

I don't know what was wrong, I wish I did. If it wasn't for lack of spark I would just assume I tested the parts wrong. I guess maybe I wasn't getting good tests on the bike and that one of the connections was loose or dirty causing the lack of spark and when I hooked it all back up that corrected the problem?

Sorry I had the folder set to private by accident.

I don't know what was wrong, I wish I did. If it wasn't for lack of spark I would just assume I tested the parts wrong. I guess maybe I wasn't getting good tests on the bike and that one of the connections was loose or dirty causing the lack of spark and when I hooked it all back up that corrected the problem?

very nice:thumbsup:

well I guess you'll never know, but as long as it's running good now then thats what matters!