Sign in to follow this  

525exc 03 Engine gets very Hot on start up

new to ktm's is this normal for a ktm 525 to get very hot within a minute of starting, it has coolant in rads and new oil but things were steaming and smoking from engine area turned it off, then started bike same thing ?

Its not common to over heat within a minute but you should not let it sit and idle for say 5 mins. They need air flowing through the rads. Anytime you stop on the trail for more than 1 mins., you should shut the bike down.

Make sure you rads. are not over filled. Should be no more than 6 mm above the fins inside the rads. If you put more than that in, it will puke out the over flow onto the headers and steam. A better choice is to get a coolant recovery tank and then you can fill the rads. to the top and the overflow will go to the bottle and return when it cools.

Stock jetting sucks and will make them over heat. JD Jetting is the easy fix.

if it has smoke rising off the motor area I would say it has a little bit of something spilled on it some where, oil, soap, water, etc. This happens to me after a wash, ride in the mud, oil change.

You might want to check to see if you have any air bubbles in your water line. I have had mine sitting still running for well over 5mins and never had any problems. Lean the bike over on the kick stand and check your bleeder on your head and see if any air comes out. You dont have to remove the screw just crack it open. Hope this helps.

You might want to check to see if you have any air bubbles in your water line. I have had mine sitting still running for well over 5mins and never had any problems. Lean the bike over on the kick stand and check your bleeder on your head and see if any air comes out. You dont have to remove the screw just crack it open. Hope this helps.

don't mean to sound stupid but should i do this whilst engine is running.

If you just got the bike the shop or prier owner may have "Dressed" the engine with WD40/Pam or something similar. Do it to make the motor look better and EZer to clean.

If so will smoke on startup.

Bruce

don't mean to sound stupid but should i do this whilst engine is running.

No.

I forgot to mention that one. You must bleed the head to get all the air out of the system. Most likely this is the problem.

With the bike on the side stand (leaning to the left), crack open the bleed screw until only coolant comes out. There is also a bleed screw on the right rad. (most bikes). Check coolant level after bleeding both.