Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha Oil level, YFZ 450

I just picked up a 2004 YFZ 450, and don't have a manual. Is it safe to assume that the oil level is to be checked just like other dry sump engines, with the engine warmed up to normal temp.? Every other bike with a dry sump engine and an oil tank that I've been around was like that. I checked the oil in this one, and it's a little over full cold, and is almost pouring out of the tank when it's hot.

I'm guessing the previous owner put too much oil in it, but I want to make sure before I run it low and tear something up... :banana:

The manual says to warm it to 104f and then let it sit for a few minutes then check. So not full hot and not right after you shut it off. How do you like it so far?

So far I love it! It seems like a good bike, everything is tight, no rattles, knocks, etc. The water pump is dripping a few drops out of the "weep hole" when it's cold, gonna have to do that soon. (seals and shaft probably) I just also read about the lack of an oil nozzle for the rod/wrist pin in the 04-06 models. Is that something to really be concerned about, or should I spend the $200 to have it "upgraded"?

Thanks for the tips on the oil level too. :banana:

I got mine new in Feb 04 and rode it alot the first year. Then only off and on after that. I'm quessing probably 100 hours or so on it. It has not blown up on me. I have run systhetic Mobil1 4t the whole time. I just recently did the oil nozzle and water pump. I really just did it for peace of mind. 200.00 for oil upgrade VS 2000.00 to rebuild the motor seem like a good investment. Who knows at this point it could be too late anyway. A friend has one and his has not blown up either.

That's kinda the same spot I'm in... lol Granted, if I had the $200 laying around, I'd be MORE than happy to send the cover off and have it done, but I don't. I know that if I don't do it and it devours itself, I'll be kicking myself then... :lol:

I really don't plan on riding the bike very often right now, I've got other bikes to ride. I wasn't really even looking for another one, but I had a car for sale and got an offer to swap the bike, and took it. I'll probably just wait until I can pay for the upgrade and do the water pump at the same time. The $200 will be forgotten about and overlooked a whole lot sooner than a blown quad sitting in the shed... :banana:

Failure is imminent with medium or heavier riding. Definitely do the upgrade.

I've got an 06 that I bought new, in 07, just did my first top end, wristpin looked good as new, and I never did the oil mod. Just keep the filter clean, and change the oil every 3 rides, and you should be good. I mainly just dune mine, and duning is pretty hard on a motor. I am doing my waterpump seals again this week, this is the 3rd time for mine, and last time I replaced the shaft and both seals.

My water pump would weep a little when cold and then stop. It never really worried me too much. Was yours really bad? I put in a new shaft and seals with the updated clutch cover hopefully no more leak. But if it just seeps a little cold I'll leave it.

As far as the water pump goes......if you catch it early, you can get away with less on the repair. I found mine seeping really early.....and was able to just replace the outer gasket. That was around 75 hours or so.....I'm around 400hrs now. :thumbsup:

What maintence have you done so far? Do you have an hour meter or are you estimating?