Sign in to follow this  

Ohlins TTX vs Revalved KYB

I sent my 09 crf450 suspension and stock stabilizer to Enzo to have them work on it. After reciving the suspension back it was greatly improved but there were still major issues. At high speed the front end had terrible head shake, it was a bit harsh on big hits and the front end wouldnt hold its line in the corners. I spent 3 weeks trying to get it dialed in but at best the problems were only slightly improved but not solved. I am strongly considering buying Ohlin TTX cartridge and shock but I am nervous about getting it dialed in. Everyone raves about the Ohlins setup when its dialed but there are also a lot of people who dont like it because they arent the best with the clickers. Im no expert and am afraid I will spend $2,000 on suspension that I cant get dialed in properly. Can those who have experience with the TTX please chime in on what it took to get their suspesnion dialed?

You need to send it back to Enzo first, you have paid once you should not pay again, work with them and i am sure they will try harder to get it right.

I just got a set to test with and only have a hour or so on stock valving and can definitely say that the it gives confidence to the rider. Once I got the Front and rear balanced the turns were a blast(still going to play with different sag settings).

I certainly hope you get a lot of response

It's cool stuff. :banana:

Like Marcus said.... I would probably send your current stuff back in sense you have already paid for it. If you hadn't already had this work done and had the means financially, I would definitely look at TTX.

Hello,

Some questions :banana:

Sag is correct?

You have the correct springs for your weigth?

Have you played with forks deep in the triple clamps and with fork clickers and stabilizer?

Already talked with someone at Enzo´s about it?

And for last what´s your level of experience?

My opinion is that you are good with Enzo´s and you don´t need the TTX because your bike with a good setup will perform better that any Ohlins Kit.

I have tested the sag from 100 to 110 and settled on 104. I have the forks flush with the tripple clamps and Enzo said I dont need different springs. I am a B level WORCS racer but race some local MX too. I am willing to spend the money for the ohlins I just want to be sure that it is better than the KYB even if the KYB stuff is dialed in perfect.

I'll give enzo a call monday but I had them revalve the suspension almost a year ago. I was in communacation with them via email complaining about the performance but I had a very serious injury b4 I could send it in. Its taked 3 surgeries to get my leg in rideable condition.

my buddy is running the ttx stuff on his 09 crf450 and he is very happy.........hasnt touched anything cept the rebound, but some co that sell ohlins will valve as part of the purchase.......but give enzo a call, they have great customer service and i am sure they will do everything to help you out....that is a mother of a bike to setup regardless

I have the forks flush with the tripple clamps and Enzo said I dont need different springs.

What is your weight? I assume you are around 180-190lbs with gear? Just for a test try dropping the forks even lower as flush and see if it makes a difference - something like an additional 3-5mm. There is enough clamping surface so don't worry. This would help to determine if you could benefit from additional hardware.

I'll give enzo a call monday but I had them revalve the suspension almost a year ago.

A year ago shops were just learning about the 09 CRF - I'm pretty sure the have considerably changed their setup since!

Michael

I have tested the sag from 100 to 110 and settled on 104. I have the forks flush with the tripple clamps and Enzo said I dont need different springs. I am a B level WORCS racer but race some local MX too. I am willing to spend the money for the ohlins I just want to be sure that it is better than the KYB even if the KYB stuff is dialed in perfect.

Since you are willing to spend the money you should buy a second set of KYB or Ohlins. With two set you can ship one back while you are testing the other and won't have to wait three weeks for shipping while you are tuning the suspension. :banana:

that setup prolly cost the same as a set of ohlins ttx fork and shock........when you sell your bike their goes all that susp modifcation and $$$ to the buyer.......if i cant fix my susp for 500 than i am getting a different set.......i have in the past put big money in oem susp for it to work marginally better only to give it away in the resale, the ohlins is some pretty nice stuff at a reasonable price considering........my ttx has surpassed any revalve i have ever gotten, all of the big co included......but the OP already has been working with enzo and has $$ invested so maybe he should see it through, they do good work and they have come a long way with the crf in a year so i am sure they have better settings now, though i still know people struggling to set that bike up.........if he were starting from scratch i would say the 2010 ttx as ohlins has had a year also to make improvements, it is on another level..........if you do choose the ttx, talk to Harry Reed, he has a 2010 honda with the ttx and is a 20 yr ohlins tuner ....prolly has some really good settings and knowledge for ya ......pm me for his #.....

I 2nd Harry Reed and the Ohlins TTX set up. Harry knows his stuff and is a great guy. He actually does the shocks for the Craftsman Truck Nascar Series as well. Tell him Brian Robertson sent ya!

Pete, thanks for posting that. You beat me to it.

What people here are not understanding is that the problems with the 09-10 CRF450 are not specifically in the suspension - revalving alone will not make that bike right. It needs MAJOR chassis modifications (triple clamps, link, etc).

Don't waste your money on Ohlins. Once the chassis is fixed, your Enzo revalve will probably work pretty good.

What people here are not understanding is that the problems with the 09-10 CRF450 are not specifically in the suspension - revalving alone will not make that bike right. It needs MAJOR chassis modifications (triple clamps, link, etc).

Don't waste your money on Ohlins. Once the chassis is fixed, your Enzo revalve will probably work pretty good.

clamps, links are recommended for just about every bike nowadays......95% of the riders cant push a bike close to its limits even if it has faults ( which they all do)....(LOL......... guarantee the rider has more faults than the bike!!!!.......maybe they should make some aftermarket parts for us!!...maybe i am the one who needs a new offset and link

this is one of the few bikes that actually need it.

The 09 doesnt need clamps. I believe applied is the only company that offers the tripples in a 22 offset vs stock 20. The majority of tripple clamp manufactures and riders agree that the stock offset works best for mx. The link isnt necessary if you had the shock shaft lowered. Both the link and shortening the shaft do the same thing (eliminate the stinkbug affect) but a link changes the leverage ratio. Enzo shortened the shock shaft and I still hate how the bike handles. Im 95% sure I will be running Ohlins next month. I have spoken to 5 different people who have ridden Ohlins (3 run it on their 09 crf450) and everyone of them raves about the performance and they all had past experience with revalved stockers. The only people that advise against Ohlins are those who haven't ridden with it on their bike.

When your drop 2k on nice shiny parts...it's hard not to like it!

That said...it is a nice product.

a waste of money is all these versions of " diamond kits" and rengineered susp services/products that cost 1-3k and do very little.......at least you get a second set with ohlins ...

i saw a fast kid at glen helen with a link and clamps and was still frustrated with that bike.....kawi needed link and clamps, rmz had a link and 20mm clamps, older crf same thing....but this is the one that needs it?...

Did you guys actually read the MXA article? If so, you would understand that the chassis is JACKED on this bike. Throwing a set of Ohlins on it will not make it work. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Applied makes a 24mm clamp - and yes, it's absolutely necessary. As is the link. To understand what the increase in offset does for the Honda (and subsequent decrease in trail), go to Rick Johnson's TOO TECH web site (this is not SPAM - just trying to get people to understand what's going on with the 90/10 Honda). He has written a great article on the effects of offset and trail.

Shortening the shock lowers the bike, true. But it doesn't change the progression of the shock. The link slows the shock down and helps it work better through braking bumps.

I'd be interested to know what a full Ohlins set up costs. I bet it's more than our E7 revalve, link, clamp and shock revalve. And our set up addresses the chassis issue, where the Ohlins set up does not. And as far as having an "extra set of suspension"....well you don't really, do you? If the set you took off is junk, it's no longer an option, right?

And just because some kid at Glen Helen with a link and clamps was frustrated, still doesn't mean the bike was set up right.

Bottom line is, it's your money and you can do what you think is best. I'd just make sure I explored all options.

And "no", you don't have to be a pro to take advantage of our mods. Any average rider can feel the difference our mods make over a stock CRF.