Sign in to follow this  

Starting Problems 2006 Honda CRF250R

Having problems getting 2006 CRF250R started. The bike has set all winter but when we put the bike up the carb was cleaned and no gas sat in it. We got it started last weekend and it ran but for a bit but when riding it the bike would "lunge" forward when letting of the throttle. I pulled the carb back off and went through it again, everything appeared good. Also put a new plug in. There is about 25 hours on the bike and before I start messing with valves I want to rule everything out. Any pointers or advice is appreciated as I am a familiar with the two strokes and just getting my feet wet on the four strokes.

wow this sounds very familiar.

has your bike lost alot of compression? mine has its in shop now getting fixed. first try draining all fuel, emptying the carby, cleaning plug ( i know youve already done it but do it again ) AND if all else fails and it will not start then roll start it. thats what i had to do.

if it doesnt start when you roll start it your in a bit of a pickle there champ.

time to book it in?

I have a funny feeling it's valves, check if the bike bump starts, if it starts right up bump starting it's almost guaranteed valves. I have also had a clogged pilot do the same, but you said the carb is clean so I'd check clearances and most likely you'll have to reshim for now. Get back to me what you find out

DITTO on the clogged pilot, take it out and make SURE it's clean. This is very likely after sitting a long time.

I got it running but it still isn't right. Ended up taking it down and checking the valves. There lies the problem. The intakes were at .004 and the exhaust .009. I have a shim kit on the way and we will be back in business. Thanks for the advice.

Well another week has gone by and I still don't have this bike going. Here is what I have done: Drained tank (it was clean), went through carb, changed the plug, checked valves and reshimmed (only out on the exhaust side .002). The bike finally started after doing the valves but only ran for about 200 yards. It was going along and just quit. I could not get it to start afterwards. I have taken the carb down again and have found nothing. HELP.

This bike ran absolutely perfectly last summer before my son had an accident that put him out for the season. I started the bike a couple days afterwards to check everything out and all was fine. Over the winter my son cleaned the bike and had some wheel work done. He also cleaned the carb and that is where I beleive the problem is since nothing else has worked. Does anyone have advice on what direction to go now? How do you tell when the accelerator pump is bad?

To check the AP, if the carb is still on it, pull it off with gas still in it and turn the throttle. Fuel should squirt out in the direction of the intake. Also, if the slide was taken out, there's a plate that sits on the slide and it's very common that either the plate is on upside down or the seal on the plate is torn. TMhe seal is very delicate and if you used carb cleaner or any other kind of solvent to clean the carb, it's probably shot. Motox_2005 posted a picture of how the plate should look on the slide. I'll find it and post the link for you.