Sign in to follow this  

Thumb brakes

I was reading this month's issue of Cycle World, where they ride Reuben Xaus' BMW R1000S Superbike. There was a big picture of the bike's thumb brake, like on supermoto and stunt bikes. Apparently, a lot of world superbike racers use the thumb brake (replacing the rear brake pedal with a thumb activated lever on the left hand grip).

Supermoto guys use them to slide the rear wheel on right hand turns where they need to drag their right foot, and stunt guys use them to control wheelies.

Why not put one on an off-road bike?

I am seriously considering it because I eventually want supermoto wheels for my street legal enduro Husky TE 510. If I am going to do it sooner or later, I might as well get used to it sooner, right? On the other hand, its kinda expensive, and probably not street-legal. :banana:

Thumb brake levers were originated by Mick Doohan in the 90's so he could use the rear brake on his NSR500 GP bike after he had severely broken his right leg the first time (second break, along with shoulder and wrist injuries, in 1999, in Spain, forced him into retirement).

Same scenario for Xaus, broken right femur at Brno last year, limited use of his right (rear brake) leg, thus the thumb brake.

Road racers only use the thumb brake set-up to patch an injury problem, so they can continue to race, and salvage as many points as possible (what they're paid to do).

Stunters and 'Tard riders use them because their feet aren't on the pegs, but they still need the use of the rear brake.

If your right leg works, and your actually riding the bike (not stunting or 'tarding. never understood that "stick the foot out" on a 'tard. at 70+mph on the asphalt, your asking to loose that leg), a thumb brake is a waste of time on the street.

IMO, even more of a waste of time (and possibly more dangerous than useful) on the dirt.