Complete new bike for 2011!!!

WHY once you get it started the only way to kill it is with the kill button

So once again from a 125 and 250 2 stroke Husky owner why do you need a starter

Because I'm fat and lazy! :banana:?:lol:?:banana:?

And all my 4-stoke friends laugh at me when I'm kicking the hell out of the 2 stroke after a good drowning at a major water crossing.

With electric start it's pull the plug, hit the starter button to flush out the water! Stick the plug back in and hit the starter button again..... followed by a Varrrrrrrum and off you go!

With a kick starter.... it's pull the plug, turn the bike upside down.... spin the back tire maybe 20 or so revolutions... turn the bike right side up and if I'm lucky and I got all the water out it... it might fire up between the 5th and 10th kick, but if not it's repeat the drill over again until I'm blue in the face.

The electric button is real nice.

JustSayen

Ive been considering making the switch to a Husky for a while now and hope that the WR250/300 gets a new chassis, fuel injection would be nice also. I dont want E start and no juice clutch. There were old guys 20 years ago riding 430s, 400, etc and they were able to start them. Ive talked to a few KTM 2t owners that have the e start and was told of starter service procedures after every race. Maybe its just bs. Something about taking it apart and greasing this and that. Hopefully there will be a XC version that doesnt have it. As far as juice clutches go, I feel that they lack feeling and are not as reliable as a cable clutch. Ive had two hyd. clutches on a YZ426 and a CR250 and both failed during an enduro and had a on or off feeling with no modulation. One was a Magura and the other was a Hebo. Ive also seen other bikes that have them standard, fail at the races.

Just my 2 cents.

Husky Rips,

If what you say is true about the new efi motors in the 125 frame, I can't tell you how excited that makes me.:banana::banana::banana::banana:?:banana:

Now I just have to find the patience to wait.

I am also one of those lazy guys who would like e-start, but it is far from a deal killer if the bike has all the other goodies I am more than tickled.

Walt

There are quite a few threads on KTM bendix problems, some people wind up never using the button. One guy had his blow up the third time he rode the bike, KTM would not fix it because the bike was past the 30 day warranty. Cost the guy $600 IIRC.

There are quite a few threads on KTM bendix problems, some people wind up never using the button. One guy had his blow up the third time he rode the bike, KTM would not fix it because the bike was past the 30 day warranty. Cost the guy $600 IIRC.

I know a bunch of guys with e button KTM two strokes and I haven't seen any problems with it other than one guy with a dead battery first right after he unloaded the bike from the truck in the morning.... they seem pretty reliable.

That's why you have to take a forum thread for what what it is, just a bunch of folks chatting... some is truth, some is rumor and some is just BS.

JustSayen

I am completely stoked at the possibility of an updated 250/300. DI would be huge [if it works -- still haven't even SEEN it yet in any publication/rumor mill, much speculation]. I will have one when it exists.

As for e-start -- here's my $0.02 from a guy who owns one.

First, I put a battery tender on it and leave it hooked up to that when I'm not riding. Great little device with quick disconnect leads -- works great -- my battery is always fully charged and I've never had ANY batter issues.

Second, I use my estart ALL the time [hot and cold] -- no issues. Never touched it when I brought it home. It started to screech at exactly 20 hours. I though "Oh boy, here we go..." I took it home, completely disassembled and lubed everything with Bel Ray Waterproof grease and slapped it back together. Took me an hour. No noise or issues since [over 100 hours now]. Seriously, not one issue since.

Third. I re-greased the estart about a month ago just for giggles. Still looked good. Took a half hour this time since I knew what I was doing.

Finally, as to functionality. My bike usually starts in 2-4 kicks cold and 1-2 warm. The estart is nice, but I'm not sure its worth the cash since it starts easily anyway. There are times when its really, really handy, but I'm not sure the presence or absence of estart would be a deal breaker for me. Just my $0.02.

Hydraulic clutches that fail, has got to be really rare........ A cable will break and stretch alot more than a hydraulic clutch will ever have problems. Most problems I see on Hydraulic clutches is people not knowing how to properly bleed them, that will cause issues for sure. I was bummed when I got my 06 SM610 and it has a cable clutch. But on a off road bike I race? Hydraulic any day over cable.

I don't care about E-start, I DO CARE ABOUT a 6 speed tranny. That is the main reason my $$ keep going to KTM vice Husky, I want a 6 Speed. I love the 300 and if the 2011 come with 6 Speed, my 200XC goes up for sale and a Husky 300 will be in the stable.

Just an FYI there are a few post in German financial publications that BMW motorcycles is going to hold back on release of some future models until the market stabilizes somewhat.

They mention the American market and how it's a big part of BMW production.

I suspect that even at Husqvarna some products are going to rescheduled as far as production and role out dates and the two stoke mini cycle as well as the 250 and 300 might fall into products that will be released later than sooner.... (just kind of reading between the lines in a phone call I had yesterday)

Also there is a big emphasis at BMW to streamline models and reduce product overlap and that's one of the reasons BMW motorad and Husqvarna are one and the same now as in Team BMW Husqvarna Motorad.

Part of that streamlining was that Husqvarna simplified 125cc production going from two engine configurations to one. Now both Dual Sport WRE and SM1245 use the same engine design as the CR/WR 125.

With that being said I think the next models we'll be seeing coming out of Husqvarna are the NEW TE/TC/SM 450s and 510s with the new motor as well as a NEW SM125 and WRE125 based on the new style CR/WR125 and TC/TE/TXC250 frame and plastic as well as the two stroke 50cc minicrosser.

Once the economy stabilizes I think we'll see the new 250/300 two strokes.

Hopefully I'm wrong. :banana:

I hope you are wrong too. The last thing the world needs is yet another new 450. There are just so many choices out there already. Now if they could beat KTM to market with a FI 2 stroke, that would create tons of attention since many, many people have been asking for just that type of bike.

I hope you are wrong too. The last thing the world needs is yet another new 450. There are just so many choices out there already. Now if they could beat KTM to market with a FI 2 stroke, that would create tons of attention since many, many people have been asking for just that type of bike.

I agree a new EFI 2-stroke would be nice, but based on Husqvarna's recent history of product roll-out and where the economy is it would seem that we'd be lucky to see 2 new products at EMICA this fall.

As I said before the easy thing to do on the 2-stroke side would be the street legal SM125 and WRE125 in the new style CR125 frame and also consider these 2 bikes are Husqvarna's top selling models and again it simplifies procurement, because now ALL 125 parts are from the same product family (TC/TE250 and WR/CR125) instead of two different frames and plastic. this would be easy to roll out and a big bang at EMICA this fall... plus everyone who owns the old style would want a new one and production would sky rocket.

Then you have the big bore 4-stroke platform which is currently made up of the 510, 450 and 310. Again these are stretched out over 4 product ranges TE, TC, TXC and SM... That's a lot of bikes and a sizable percentage of Husqvarna's. Husqvarna is trying real hard to contain cost and the motor they're talking about is already out sourced for production and meets BMW quality standard. So again to standardize production don't be surprized to see something in the TE/TC 250 hybrid frame using the same plastic as the TC/TE250 and 2010 WR/TC125.

Then you have the little CR50 mini which they were talking about bringing the production in house from when CH Racing built the earlier models and again this model was already shown at the EMICA show this past fall. Commitments were made to produce it, but again there's a lot of marketing and racing required to promote the model and all that cost money to get to the numbers they need to make it economically viable and I'm afraid this model might be delayed.... again hopefully I'm wrong.

Then there's the 250 and 300 2-strokes which are good sellers now. On top of that they're great race bikes that can match up with anything from KTM or Gas-Gas. They've pretty much proven to be bulletproof mechanically. On top of that Sebastien Guillaume proved last season that those machines can pretty much run and beat anything out there. Plus for 2010 Bartosz Oblucki is going to be joining him on another WR300.

So what I'm saying is Husqvarna might just decide to hold off on spending any money on tooling for a new model when they have two great bikes that are low cost to produce and still run with anything out there.

Hopefully I'm wrong. :banana:

Edited by HuskyRips

Husky Rips,

I am afraid your reasoning is sound and I too hope you are wrong. The financial markets are just too unstable right now to go out on a limb at any level. I am seeing so many people that I thought were recession proof pulling their wings in and giving up those 3rd, 4th, and 5th vacation homes. These are the people that run and own this country and they are cutting back. That is scary stuff for the rest of us that are just working stiffs.

Walt

I hope he's wrong too. Being scared and waiting for the next guy to do something won't put you on top. Sometimes you just have to do something bold and be the first to do it. Now I 'll take a new Husky 200 EFI 2-stroke in the new Tc frame with e-start please.

Because I'm fat and lazy! ??:lol:???

And all my 4-stoke friends laugh at me when I'm kicking the hell out of the 2 stroke after a good drowning at a major water crossing.

With electric start it's pull the plug, hit the starter button to flush out the water! Stick the plug back in and hit the starter button again..... followed by a Varrrrrrrum and off you go!

With a kick starter.... it's pull the plug, turn the bike upside down.... spin the back tire maybe 20 or so revolutions... turn the bike right side up and if I'm lucky and I got all the water out it... it might fire up between the 5th and 10th kick, but if not it's repeat the drill over again until I'm blue in the face.

The electric button is real nice.

JustSayen

2 of my KTM owning friends have had the starter removed from their bikes. It never works, needs a lot of service, dead batteriers in the cold, useless weight. Their own opinions.

I vote for the current motor with a 6 speed, 3 gallon tank, & the newer lighter chassis. This could be done with frame mods, the 6 speed already exists, they would have to make the new tank. This bike would be easy to introduce without a lot of cost and the price wouldn't have to go way up for fuel injection & e start. Btw the ktm rider I rode with today had to kick start his bike when it was cold and after about 5 e starts that was it, back to kicking. He was mumbling about spending more money.

most guys that have the e-start smokers, do little if any battery maint (keeping the charge topped off) from what I have seen. These are small batteries and will loose their charge if used over and over again especially in the colder temps with out periods of charging (riding) in between. I always kick my 525 when cold with the choke and it fires right up 2-3 kicks, but it is jetted spot on also, and then use the e-start the rest of the day. In the winter, I put the battery on a tender. Still on the stock battery in my 2007, but I also take care of it. There is no way the 2 strokes use more cranking amps than a 525. I chalk of most of this to bad up keep on the battery.