Sign in to follow this  

PW50, Yellow

I snagged this yellow PW50 for $100, starts first kick every time and runs great, carb needs cleaned though, and frame was rewelded at the neck. Other than random surface rust and some rusty bolts it's not a bad bike for $100. I plan on taking the summer and doing a good amount of fixing up and maintenance on it. I read the years for the yellow started in 81 then changed after a few years, but does anyone know what year they went to the blue? I'm trying to get a manual for it, though most of the years are about the same, it would be cool to have one from the yellow year. Also, since this is my (really my kid's) first 50cc, no gear, no clutch bike, when it's idling it wants to scoot a bit is that how it is, is it idling too high, or is there another issue?

24519_361919677882_641627882_3752529_5038411_n.jpg

If it is trying to creep the idle may be too high, assuming no clutch issues.

Good deal for 100 bucks. Pw's are pretty much all the same, with the exception of some minor electrical/wiring changes.

From what I've been reading the clutch on these things are pretty solid and the springs are the things that go. Once I get the manual I can start breaking it down and making sure things are cool. Throttle sticks too so that might be part of the problem as well.

You can get any color for the PW50 you want, red, blue, white, orange, yellow, pink... look at the 10th digit from the VIN, that will tell you the year. Compare it to this chart: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/TORONTO/VIN/VIS.html#year

If I were you, I'd try to get a new frame, rewelded frames are typically a sign that the bike was used or crashed very hard, you probably don't want to trust a weld in that area, even though it's only a peewee bike.

Ya already looking at them on ebay... pricing isn't too bad on them either, compared to my KDX200 (frame is wasted). I was wrecked, the idiot kid, probably 16 year old, took it out and whacked it into a fence, 2 months prior to me buying it. My 1st kid isn't going to be doing any trails or anything that I would consider questionable (jumps, etc), but I'll pick one up eventually, the next kid to have it will be the one that will be doing jumps on it and such ha... I was more interested in the engine and how well it ran, plastics too but that too is fairly cheap.

There's a surprise. If it runs, it's still worth $100, but I wouldn't be surprised if you'd need forks and a wheel too, just to be safe. The PW50 forks can be rebuilt, but if they're bent, they're shot.

Good news is you've obviously got time on your side.

the forks on the bikes are a weak link. we are on our fourth or fifth set. the best prices are off of ebay. OEM forks are too much money to keep replacing.

There's a surprise. If it runs, it's still worth $100, but I wouldn't be surprised if you'd need forks and a wheel too, just to be safe. The PW50 forks can be rebuilt, but if they're bent, they're shot.

Good news is you've obviously got time on your side.

Ya I was going to break those down too, the nice thing is from what I'm reading they don't take special tools and no oil. I was going to see if I can replace the springs while I was in there as well. Right now they don't seem bent at all and go down pretty easily. I should be getting the manual I got off ebay soon and hopefully get it all broken down and back together before the nice weather comes.

I knew going into it that it would be a bit of work to get back into shape... my daughter will probably ride it a little this summer but, again, it won't (at least I doubt it knowing her personality) be anything beyond a field and going 1/4 throttle. I just want to make sure she is safe, brakes work well, throttle limited (missing screw now), etc... and not break apart on the ride.

Problem is, like my KDX, is you get these bikes cheap and find out later the real issues and end up costing as much as a decent one. I like doing the work and always find good deals on ebay. The engine ran great which was the most important thing to me for the $100 ha...

Been there, done that, probably going to do it again.

Diamonds in the rough were fairly easy to find a while ago, but since the bike breakers went berserk buying slightly problematic bikes for cheap to sell on ebay in pieces, it drove up the used prices on everything. They sell enough stuff to make their money back and maybe 50%, then throw the rest out, so those parts are gone, no bike, no parts, no love for poor guys like us who have value to their sweat.

Of course, at the moment, anything I'm looking for on ebay, all that's up for sale is one of those jerkweed buy and part people who is holding out for some sucker who's willing to pay $50 under factory price because he needs it faster than the dealer can have it ordered in.

Ah well. It all works out in the end.

Been there, done that, probably going to do it again.

Diamonds in the rough were fairly easy to find a while ago, but since the bike breakers went berserk buying slightly problematic bikes for cheap to sell on ebay in pieces, it drove up the used prices on everything. They sell enough stuff to make their money back and maybe 50%, then throw the rest out, so those parts are gone, no bike, no parts, no love for poor guys like us who have value to their sweat.

Of course, at the moment, anything I'm looking for on ebay, all that's up for sale is one of those jerkweed buy and part people who is holding out for some sucker who's willing to pay $50 under factory price because he needs it faster than the dealer can have it ordered in.

Ah well. It all works out in the end.

Ya I'm with you there... I just haggle them and if they don't bite I move on. Eventually something comes up. I've got some amazing parts for very good prices via ebay and these forums. It also irritates me that perfectly good bikes are being shredded so some guy can make $200 off it. A bit ago I found an engine off craigslist for a PW50 (figured for free it would be a good backup for whatever PW I picked up eventually), guy said get it or I toss it in the trash on there... I called, and he wanted cash for it, told him to toss it in the trash... week later I emailed him to see if he wanted to give it up yet, he tossed it. Not sure what is wrong with these people but everyone wants to make a buck I guess. Me, if I have extra and I'm not using it I pass it on... oh well.

Now, I'm going back/forth with an ebay dealer about a PW50 frame, 93, he won't give up for less than $65 shipped. Funny thing is that these frames almost never sell, I've been looking for a replacement for my KDX for over a year and the same ones show up over and over again... at the end of the time I email them and 6/10 times they had tossed it in the trash.

I'm not sure what year your KDX is. There was a guy on ebay who had one in western NY complete with a blown engine I think. I was going back and forth with him but decided against it when he didn't have a title. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120420566704&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123#ht_500wt_964

88-94? I think interchange. But don't quote me on that, been too long since I did the research.

I'm not sure what year your KDX is. There was a guy on ebay who had one in western NY complete with a blown engine I think. I was going back and forth with him but decided against it when he didn't have a title. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120420566704&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123#ht_500wt_964

88-94? I think interchange. But don't quote me on that, been too long since I did the research.

Thanks, it's a 95... ya the 88-94 then 95-on... I'll find one down the road, the bike is where I'd like it to be but the frame is always nagging at me (stripped mounts and bent in the rear). With this new project I'll be putting it aside for a while ha... I did find a 05 in great shape for reasonable ship (most sellers jack the shipping way up on frames to make more, I've shipped a lot of things at 30+lbs oversized and it comes no where near $100) starting at $30 (sold for $100 total) but used the money on this bike instead. Not a biggie, this will be a fun project for me.

The shipping could actually be $100. If they don't package it in cardboard it would be really expensive.

But I agree, many jack up the shipping because they can. I've seen things worth maybe $200 with a sucker starting bid of $25 and then $200 shipping. Yeah, no.

Ebay should be a little more proactive on bad sellers. I wish they'd slap the people who put 10 auctions for the same item spaced a 1/2 a day apart.

But they don't, cause ebay makes money whether items sell or not.

The shipping could actually be $100. If they don't package it in cardboard it would be really expensive.

But I agree, many jack up the shipping because they can. I've seen things worth maybe $200 with a sucker starting bid of $25 and then $200 shipping. Yeah, no.

Ebay should be a little more proactive on bad sellers. I wish they'd slap the people who put 10 auctions for the same item spaced a 1/2 a day apart.

But they don't, cause ebay makes money whether items sell or not.

Na it isn't... I've shipped out bicycles a lot (been a mountain biker for over 14 years and sort of in the biz) and most are 24-36lbs, oversized, if you do it USPS it's only $40-60 depending on where it's going. The KDX frame is 32lbs and if you do it right could be just under the oversize charge. They might be tacking on some cash for handing and the cardboard but if they where smart they would hit a local bike shop and snag all their frame/bike boxes... sturdy, about the right size, and free. But, that's me...

The time I saw reasonable shipping it was $45, I double checked with the seller that it was correct and he assured me it was... it went over what I wanted to pay for a frame so I passed on bidding. These PW50 frames are small and light I doubt you'd get an oversize charge or even cost that much. I'll keep an eye out and snag one eventually.

PW50 frame, no. I thought we were talking about a KDX frame. My bad.

Yeah, a PW50 frame can fit in a doubled up 5lb potato chip box. Shipping should be maybe $20-25 including the cost of buying packaging, just don't buy it from Mailboxes Etc. or Kinkos. Total rip off. And I work for FedEx who owns Kinkos, now FedEx Office.

PW50 frame, no. I thought we were talking about a KDX frame. My bad.

Yeah, a PW50 frame can fit in a doubled up 5lb potato chip box. Shipping should be maybe $20-25 including the cost of buying packaging, just don't buy it from Mailboxes Etc. or Kinkos. Total rip off. And I work for FedEx who owns Kinkos, now FedEx Office.

Ya was talking about a KDX then a PW ha... the ship for a KDX frame is way overpriced IMO. From what I've seen on the PWs they are ok.

I got the carb all apart and noticed that the slide and needle are toast, anyone know where I can get a replacement? Is that a dealer thing only? I can't seem to find anything online.

I have a frame & just parted out 3 pw50's.

Feel free to give me a call with a list of your needs.

seven63-three50-two378

Ok, bike is coming together nice... one question though. Looks like the slide and needle are sticking the carb open slightly and that's the reason why it's moving when started. Any quick fixes for it? I took some emery cloth and touched it slightly on both and put a slight bit of grease on there. I also got a new cable. Anything else I can do without having to fork over $70+ for OEM replacements?