Sign in to follow this  

Need Valve Adjustment Help

Trying to adjust the valves on my 06 450exc. I have never felt very comfortable with my job after finishing becuase the "feel" of the guage always changes after tightening the locknut. I am careful not to move the adjusting screw as I tighten the lock nut as well. Also, if anything, I would think the guage would feel looser, but it is actually much tighter after I lock the adjuster in place.

:banana:

I've tried to use the method of backing off the adjuster 1/6 turn but I can't even get a feeler guage under it after locking it down. Does anyone else have this issue? Should I adjust it so the feeler guage is correct after tightening? If so, this is going to be trile and error as I don't know how much to back the adjuster off before tightening.

Also, if anything, I would think the guage would feel looser, but it is actually much tighter after I lock the adjuster in place.

This sounds like the adjuster is turning/ tightening when you tighten the 10mm nut.

Should I adjust it so the feeler guage is correct after tightening?

yes

If so, this is going to be trile and error as I don't know how much to back the adjuster off before tightening.

Sometimes you can bump up to an .006" blade to tighten it down consistently to .005".

There is a torque setting on the nut. You might check that with a t-wrench so it's not damaging the adjuster or nut threads.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

My bike has almost 200 hours on it, Do you think I can be out of adjustment?

OK.. Finished up and feel good about it. Bike starts like magic. Exhaust valves were much easier. I backed off on the torque of the lock nuts and it seemed to have worked well. :banana:

I backed off on the torque of the lock nuts and it seemed to have worked well. :banana:

Just so you know, there has been several people that have lost their lock nuts and caused some major damage. I have always tighten mine down really good.

Here is one of many examples of this problem posted on KTMTalk.com. CLICK HERE.

I watch the utube video if an rfs valve adjustment and laugh at how easy it looks for someone who does it all of the time. I just cant get my hands and tools into such a tight spot. especially the exhaust valves.And I have tiny hands. I should probably just remove the rads. I always get it done in the end but theres a lot of profanity being hurled around. I should video it and post it up as "rfs valve adjustment the amateur way."

It really is not hard at all, even the first time. MUCH easier if you take the rads off!! A lot less contorting your hands!!!

ok, i know this is a stupid question but i want to be sure. The intake valves are on the rear side of the motor, and the exhaust valves are the ones on the front side of the motor, correct?

ok, i know this is a stupid question but i want to be sure. The intake valves are on the rear side of the motor, and the exhaust valves are the ones on the front side of the motor, correct?
Yes, correct. Notice where the exhaust pipe is coming out from, the front, so that is the exhaust side. I use a motion pro feeler gage with a tiny gage at 0.005 mm on one side, and 0.004 mm on the other. I use a pair of forcepts clamped on the feeler gage for the exhaust valves. I adjusted my valves in 20 minutes this weekend. Once you are sure of TDC, you are good to go.