Sign in to follow this  

01 RM 125. more low end??

hey im just wondering what i can do to give my rm 125 more low end? im thinking maybe changing my front sproket? any other suggestions and what should i change it to?

I got an 02 that the kids ride and right now its got a 13/52 on it, but they are riding it on the pipe good now for mx so its about time to bring it back down to a 13/51. 13/50 to 13/52 for mx gives you a good range for differant tracks.

what about for trails? i do ride tracks but i also ride alot of woods stuff and im looking for more low end. i think stock it has a 12 tooth front and 48 rear? im not positive tho

Good rule is 1 tooth on the front is 3 teeth on the rear. You can run a 12 on front, but it does wear the chain faster then a 13. The 13/52 is good for the type of woods riding we have here. However, tight corners you need to feather the clutch, but I don't think you can realy get away with out clutching a 125 in tight or steep up hill climbs. For mx a 13/50 or 13/51 works real well. I don't know if you got a lot of bucks to have 3 or 4 gear set ups, I sure don't so look on rockymountain atv/mx and they had RMA sprockets cheap. $10 for steel and $16 for alm rear, front primary drive sprockets for 6-8 bucks.

thanks alot man..does the setup youre talking about take away from alot of top speed? not that i raelly hit 70mph all that often i just still want to have a really fast bike..i mean who dosent? haha

gearing a bike down will only make it more snappy and harder to control. the 01 rm125 is hard to ride. power characteristics are very similar to an 04. dont waste your time trying to make a bike that runs well on top to run well on the bottom. its never going to happen. your best bet is either to sell it for something else, get used to it, or i guess you can find a torque spacer which will help, but it will take away some of the awesome top end power that bike has. so again, leave the gearing alone. and remember, the clutch lever is your best friend.