Sign in to follow this  

Hard Clutch

I currently have a 2003 yz250f and the clutch is nearly impossible to pull in with one or two fingers, i have to use all 4 and it still makes my arm sore when riding so i avoid using it as much as possible and that's not good. So i was thinking about either getting the

Moose Racing

Easy-Pull Clutch System

or the

Motion Pro

Clutch Cable

I am not sure which would help if either? So has anyone used these or have any ideas on how to fix my clutch issue? I went to a local dealer and was look at the 2009/2010 bikes and the clutches were very easy to pull in.

Does it have aftermarket HD springs? Easy fix is to swap them out for stock. Cable frayed/routing/needs big time lubing? I wouldn't expect your bike to be a night and day difference in effort compared to the new bikes.

Yeah, something is wrong somewhere. I had an '03 YZ250, clutch was a middle finger only pull. Know several people with various years of 250fs, same story.

Check/lube/replace your clutch cable first thing. Even with heavy springs, it shouldn't be that hard to pull.

i would check the springs and maybe put some lighter ones in,also check the way the cable has been routed

Forget the Moose Easy Pull system. Read some reviews. There was one on here just a few days ago. The concensus is it's not worth the material it's made from.

I would suggest the MSR Raptor perch and lever. Put it on the easiest pull ratio setting.

As the others said, make sure it's not a routing or binding issue with the cable. A new Motion Pro cable never hurts.

Next option would be to put a hydraulic clutch on it. That would be a 1 finger pull.

I currently have a 2003 yz250f and the clutch is nearly impossible to pull in with one or two fingers, i have to use all 4 and it still makes my arm sore when riding so i avoid using it as much as possible and that's not good. So i was thinking about either getting the

Moose Racing

Easy-Pull Clutch System

or the

Motion Pro

Clutch Cable

I am not sure which would help if either? So has anyone used these or have any ideas on how to fix my clutch issue? I went to a local dealer and was look at the 2009/2010 bikes and the clutches were very easy to pull in.

Just get a new clutch cable from Motion Pro and get some Motion Pro cable lube. Lube your cable after every ride and it will be smooth. Don't waste your time with the Moose thing, I had one for a short time and it changed the feel/engagement point. I didn't like it one bit.

Thanks all for the fast replies, its all stock. Ill get some lube and try that and if it does not work ill probably just get a new clutch cable. :banana:

Here are your steps in order:

1. Check your cable routing (make sure it doesnt have any kinks/tightness/problems)

2. Check your cable (make sure the actual cable that is inside the sheathing is not frayed, broken, or as dry as a fresh outa the dryer towel)

3. Take a minute to enjoy a snack while you decide what the problem is. (for example, if your cable is frayed, or broken, replace your cable)(If your cable is just dry/dirty inside, I find it a hell of a lot easier to purchase a new $15 dollar clutch cable rather than trying to fiddle with one of those retarded "cable lube tools")

4. If the problem isn't your cable, open up your clutch cover (drain your oil first)

5. Check your clutch plates/basket/springs (inspecting the plates is just more for routine maintenance checking for wear rather than tightness of your clutch pull)

6. Take another break to enjoy a snack while you decide what the problem is (for example, if you have heavy grooving in your clutch basket, or you notice that there are heavy duty springs in your clutch, you may need to purchase some new parts.

7. Purchase any parts that you deem to be "faulty" and replace them

8. Try pulling the clutch lever, and if its still stiff, come back and consult your peers once more

If i drain the oil into a container or something can i re-use it? I put new oil in at the end of last season so it would seem like a waste.

Do not get a Motion Pro! When my clutch cable broke, I bought a Motion Pro and within 3 months it snapped! I took a YFZ450 quad clutch cable and put it on my YZ250F and it pulls easier than a brand new Motion Pro and has already doubled the life of the Motion Pro.

Get a rekluse and you wont even need the clutch. But really +1 on what burtonx013 said, start simple, then move on from there

If i drain the oil into a container or something can i re-use it? I put new oil in at the end of last season so it would seem like a waste.

Huh? How many times have you ridden the bike since your last oil change? You should be doing oil changes and air filter cleanings about every 3-5 rides depending on riding conditions. If you only have like 1 or 2 easy rides on it, and when you drain the oil out it still looks new, then sure, re-use it. But if it comes out blackend or dirty, just put new oil in it.