Sign in to follow this  

Hopefully an easy response.

Hi, im new on here and i love riding. unfortunatly never had a bike of my own and that is what i need help with. i have done a lot of reading on here and see people ask similar questions but i will ask anyways. I am looking into getting either a 2009 yz 250f or 450f just not sure which to go with. i am 6'5 and about 200 pounds and im built not fat :banana: i dont have alot of riding experience but i do have some. i have ridden my dads wr 450f but i wouldnt say i am comfortable on it fully but i havent ridden it all that much either. Riding came naturally i got on a ttr-230 first time riding and had no problems didint need much instruction either. its just the power i am concerned about. I know the 250f's have alot of power i just dont want to get bored of it after a few months and want a 450 cause i dont have that kinda cash. My main interest is MX i like riding the trails but the aspect of racing the track is very appealing to me and that is what i will do not all the time i will do trails with my dad and just riding around on roads if i am camping but i want to get into racing. so any help would be great dont be too hard on me im new haha

Thanks, Chris

Chris, welcome to TT! It seems you share a common love for riding bikes and this is the place to find out information, tips, get your questions answered and share stories...

I am 36, 5'8" and 150. For me the 250F is perfect combination of power/weight but I have ridden 450's often. They are a thrill to ride but I quickly scare myself silly by whacking the throttle. I can comfortable ride the 250 as hard as I want and not get too out of control. I have friends who ride and are similar size to you and the bigger bike is almost a must. It may take a short while to get used to the big bike but you will, and if you are considering motocross tracks you will waste money buying the smaller bike and then wanting a bigger. Just my opinion.

Find a friend with the 450 and try it out...

I would recommend the 250f. The 250f will haul almost everybody around just as fast as they need to go, if they ride the 250f to its full potential. IMHO, there is only a select amount of riders that need a 450 to be competitive, or are someone who can use the 450 to its full potential.

I myself am on a 2009 Yz250f, and have raced MX for the past 4 years. It is plenty of bike, and if i do end up feeling the need for a little more "snort", it will get sent out to Jessie at Williams Motowerx.

Lets say you rode the majority of dunes, and big open fields and real fast paced open trail riding, i would recommend the 450. However the 250f still can have the gearing changed to run in these situations aswell...

Happy Riding!

I've ridden bikes for 35+ years, small bore to open class. Without a doubt the 250F is the most fun bike of any I've owned or ridden. The light weight makes it an easy handler and doesn't tire you out as quickly. Open class bikes are heavier, and since more powerful, will wear you out from the power hit and the weight. Friend of mine who is over 220lbs sold his YZ450F and got a 250F for the above reasons, and he races it and does well. For you as a first bike, 35 HP is a lot to work with, and it will take you some time to get used to the snap and handling, and learn how to set the suspension for you. You will need either bar risers, or tall bars, or both; a Guts Racing tall soft seat foam; lower foot pegs; barkbusters; and different gearing. Consider having the suspension tuned by a pro. Good luck with it.

• Like 1

Alrighty, thanks for the advice. I was always leaning towards a 250f just cause i am still new but if i will have no problem i will look into it a bit more. the dealer has a good deal on a 250f near my place so ill have to talk to them see whats up. hopefully ill be riding my own bike soon!

See if you can talk them into giving you a sweet deal on the proper springs for the suspension as well, because the bike will handle like a turd with your weight and the stock springs.

Your going to need 0.46kg/mm fork springs, and a 5.4kg/mm shock spring for the 250F

At 6'-3" and 195lbs, 250f is spot on for me as well. For our body size consider the following: After you set the race sag, check the static you may need the next spring. I did not, but it was close. Also, the bar mounts on the 09' have four positions (outstanding change from the 08) I've setteled on the third positon away from the rider and have bought a set of "high Yamaha bend" bars from Pro Taper. This really made the bike more comfortable for my lanky frame especiall when standing. Taller seat is in my future, but for now the stocker is working fine. As for horsepower, I run out of talent and courage long before I run out of power. Enjoy.