Sign in to follow this  

Found a trove of GSXR mufflers at a local yard...

I've found a local junkyard that is a treasure trove of mint condition GSXR mufflers.

Problem is they are all labeled as being for 600 and 750's.. One of them still has the blue shipping wrap on it. They have what appears to be the exact same 2" 4 bolt flange as the 1000 mufflers. Someone please tell me that these can work with one of the available the mid-pipe kits. It seems like such a freaking waste. They're nice and compact too. Not too long. Mounting flange "may" be in a bad position but I would think a loop mount could be made to work. Has anyone use one of these?

As long as it has the right flange, the rest can be dealt with. The 1000 muffler gives the best performance though. If it is titanium, it's the 1000 muffler. There is also that number which I can't remember. Something with 0's 4's and X's.

The midpipe kit from Jessie addresses the hanger location so that no mods need be made to the pipe or bike.

I've found a local junkyard that is a treasure trove of mint condition GSXR mufflers.

Problem is they are all labeled as being for 600 and 750's.. One of them still has the blue shipping wrap on it. They have what appears to be the exact same 2" 4 bolt flange as the 1000 mufflers. Someone please tell me that these can work with one of the available the mid-pipe kits. It seems like such a freaking waste. They're nice and compact too. Not too long. Mounting flange "may" be in a bad position but I would think a loop mount could be made to work. Has anyone use one of these?

i have a (x)35F0(x) the 650/700 can and i had the 1000 can also, i ran both and except 4 the weight dif. i could not tell any dif in the 2 performance wise, i concur what a waste i might cut open my 650/700 can shorten it and open up the dump 2 1000 outlet specs. good luck 2 ya.

Interesting. So there's a world full of 600/750 cans laying around out there (for $40 a pop) that would work but folks are holding off for the 1000 mufflers for a what must be negligible weight savings and a supposed performance boost? Is there a dyno on this or is it just internet banter.

I took a long look at the 600/750 stockers... they can't be that different from a performance standpoint. It's a staggered channel same as the bigger bike with a 2" inlet/outlet. And it's nice and short. I think I'm going to grab the nice one and give it a whirl. I've been scoping e-bay foe a few weeks for a 1000 can and have only seen one crap looking dented one . I think that maybe the words been out on these so long now that the supply is drying up a little. Maybe time for an alternate source.

The 600/750 mufflers (of the 4 bolt variety) will bolt on and have the same hanger location.... so they have the same form and fit. That's it. Function wise they are heavier and do not have the same flow rate as the 01/02 1000 mufflers..... There is a performance and sound difference.

I have ran both i now have a 1000 can on but i don't have fancy meters or dynos but the 650/750 sounded a bit different for sure but it still sounded fantastic and as far as seat of the pants difference i can't tell i just did it because i found a good deal on one and am addicted to farkling :lol:

it looks identical short of the end cap and the diameter of the tail pipe is a bit wider on the 1000 so if i was you i would instal the best one you can find and forget it but if someday you find a junkyard full of 1000 cans than it already set up just swap out :banana: the 30x35x or whatever cans that is, they are dimensionally the same as the 40x40 or whatever 1000 cans i can only talk on these to types and yes they are heavier but nothing like the buick baby

Yeah after doing some research I've learned that there is a 1 lb difference between the 1000 and 600/750 cans. I've watched/listened to videos and they both sound great. I seriously doubt that there is any major difference in performance so I'm going to go that route. I'll post it up when I've got it done. Thanks much to everyone for the help on this!

Be sure to let us know wher they are, I'd like to get something lighter than my factory set up.

Yeah after doing some research I've learned that there is a 1 lb difference between the 1000 and 600/750 cans. I've watched/listened to videos and they both sound great. I seriously doubt that there is any major difference in performance so I'm going to go that route. I'll post it up when I've got it done. Thanks much to everyone for the help on this!
FLA. steve what up dude for 40.00 bucks how can u go wrong even if it totally sucks it is still better than the stocker and u can always mod it .

Well I know for a fact that he has 3 nice ones and maybe more around his yard (he's REALLY disorganized). I didn't get him locked in on a price but I've known the guy for years. I'm pretty sure I can get it from him in the $40-$50 range. If i do (That's IF) is anyone interested in the other two (or maybe more?) It'll be Tuesday before he opens up and i can get back there. the 3 i saw were in excellent as-new condition. All for 600/750's

I seriously doubt that there is any major difference in performance.

The 1000 can is louder and deeper than the 600 can.

It flows a hell of a lot more too. The end cap alone is 40% or more bigger than the 600 one.

My bike with a 600 can has less torque/hp than with a SuperTrapp IDS Race Core with 12 discs. But is a hell of a lot less obnoxious and never requires repacking.

I'd like a 1000 can but I've got no problems waiting until one comes up very cheap.

I've already got the right can on mine, but has anyone ever gone onto a gsxr forum and tried to buy all the cans taken off those guys bikes? might be worth a shot and if the earlier threads about highest price paid are any indication, probably some money.

Has anyone tried removing the GSXR600 end cap and opening up the outlet? This has been done with the stock DRZ400S. On my DRZ it made it too loud for my taste though.

The 600/750 can is barely louder than stock with a decent performance gain. In my opinion its too expensive for what you get unless you make your own midpipe and get a cheap can. I would spend money on an FCR carb first, that mod transforms the bike.

The 1000 can is still pretty quiet but throatier and with a very noticable power gain, an order of magnitude more than the 600/750 can. This combo is better than any aftermarket pipe as far as benefit per dollar. Its quiet, needs no packing, very light and reasonable cost

I would still do the carb first,.. you'll think its a whole different bike. Then the GSXR can can will work better too.

What's the difference between the '01/'02 can and say an '03-'05? I'm talking 1000.

the dimensions of the muffler. the K1/2 is shorter and smaller at the diameter, than the later ones.

Looks better and theres more room to fit it in.

Couldn't stand it anymore. Pulled the trigger on on a Powercore 4, jet kit, and mixture screw. I don't mind the extra noise and if it's too bad Ill get the quiet insert. After a week of digging around I just don't want to deal withthe headache of tracking down a decent GSXR 1000 can. That and the $225 buy it now one on e-bay made the choice a lot easier. Repacking has never bothred me. Every other bike I own is a 2-stroke with chambers so no big whoop for me. Now I've got some welds to grind and an air box to open up.

Eventually there'll be a pumper on there and maybe a better headpipe but this seems like a more affordable start that I can upgrade in increments as $$ allows. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice etc..