Sign in to follow this  

running vs cycling

Why is it that the pros prefer to cycle rather than run? Running seem like it would be a better cardio workout. My best guess is because bicycles are similar to dirt bikes... Any other ideas?

Because you're on a freak'n bike......DUH :banana: . Anytime on a bike of any kind is better than anytime not on a bike.

Running is just too hard on the body ... It pounds your knees, ankles, feet, and shins ... You'll get injuries here in different areas if you are not careful.... It takes a lot more discipline also as when UR running, each step is a pain ... the way to stop the pain is by walking :lol: Each step requires discipline to keep going ... Biking on the other hand only requires coasting to relieve the pain and you are still moving pretty good :banana:

Running is more cardio workout but does not do nearly as much for the legs as spinning a bike will do ... Probably adding 2-3 miles every-other day or twice a week after spinning might do some good without risking injury too much ...

You gotta get good shoes FIRST and try to run on soft, flat, even terrain if possible for openers to running and start each run slow and build your speed up during the run.

Heart rate monitors are very good for either sport as they show you how hard you are really working... You'll be trying to get your heart rate (this is UR work) to a specific number of beats and hold it there for a specific number of minutes ...

Conditioning is an area we all can improve on from coast to coast .... nothing like doing the last mile \ lap and pushing as hard as the first one... and it would cure many many of the health problems we have now in our country today and ESP in the future ...

So does cycling condition you better for motocross, or is it just preference?

I think rowing is even better than both running and cycling. It works your whole body as opposed to just legs. The only downside is that you are stuck indoors on a machine... could be an upside if the weather sucks like where I am.

I asked a question sort of like this on the Racerxvt forum, because I found some articles that compared running to cycling in building cardio efficiency--in a nutshell running will increase cardio EFFICIENCY in half the time it takes in cycling. So if I remember their answer right--This is because the pounding of running shoves more pumping force through your pipes(opening them up faster), and you also pump your arms which bulds more pressure in the system too. Cycling is done seated and with the legs only so it is "easier" on your system, as well as less resistance to gravity. They also said the pros use cycling because it's easier on the joints--the riders are pretty banged up from crashing and also the pounding they take landing etc, so they choose a gentler cardio method, like cycling or rowing to prevent further overuse degeneration of joints/connective tissue.

The important thing to remember in choosing a cardio method to train for mx is that you are foremost improving your cardio-vascular efficiency and stroke capacity as well as your efficiency in burning fuel. If you are able to work at a lower heart rate(more efficient), then you burn less fuel and have more reserve.

But if you're short on time, and have good joints, running will get r done(cardio efficiency) in less time.

DOnt' compare heart rates between cycling/running though, the lactic threshold heart rate will be different for each because of different muscles and forces. Pick one cardio method to be your main method and track your progress IN THAT METHOD. Switching around to a different cardio method is good to switch things up once in awhile, but do have a main method, don't be scattered, you won't progress as quickly.

They also said it's good to pick a cardio you ENJOY, no use hammering away at something you hate doing!

On the other hand you will get stronger bones and connective tissue from the pounding of running than from cycling or running.

• Like 1

I think rowing is even better than both running and cycling. It works your whole body as opposed to just legs. The only downside is that you are stuck indoors on a machine... could be an upside if the weather sucks like where I am.
Rowing is all I do now...

So does cycling condition you better for motocross, or is it just preference?

Alot of good points here :banana:

Motocross riding conditions you best for motocross ... running conditions you best for running ... rowing conditions you best for rowing ... cycling conditions you best for cycling ... basketball conditions you best for basketball ... lol

Being 'in shape' or conditioned is a very ambiguous term ... each sport you are training for is different even though there is some lap over ... Go find what Lance Armstrong said about running when he retired from cycling and tried to run a marathon ... He is maybe the most fit person in the world today from spinning a bike and running almost killed him ... He's back to spinning...

Crossing training helps any sport for multiple reasons. Rowing sounds very good as it is low impact and does upper body work... and is easy if you have a rowing device ...

Running is very difficult and takes much more discipline than any of the other cross training sports listed here. Plus you run a much higher chance of injury ....

What is better? lol ... anything is better than nothing and when U start what ever you are going to try, consistent training over time will reap the rewards ...

Rest is the most important part of training ... without it you will never progress past the lower levels ... Diet is important also so don't forget that part either .... U probably need carbos...lots of carbs!

Edited by ray_ray

Motocross riding conditions you best for motocross ... running conditions you best for running ... rowing conditions you best for rowing ... cycling conditions you best for cycling ... basketball conditions you best for basketball ... lol

!

you'd think, and it's true, for cycling, running, basketball...BUT go look at the amount of seat time the pros have in their training plans between bike/cardio/weights. Seat time is for testing fitness progress, polishing off any conditions you can't replicate in the gym(plyo type stuff and putting it alltogether in linking muscles) and MOSTLY hammering technique/muscle control and response. Basically cardio efficiency is brought up to snap in the off/pre season with another form of cardio, then maintained during the season. The pros are all about getting it done in the fastest most efficient manner. If seat time was good enough, I guarantee none of them would touch a cardio device!

Not saying only seat time won't get you in shape neither, just that there's a faster way to do it with a focused plan. Your bike "only" weighs 225-260 some odd pounds, you can play with more than that in a gym/big heavy stuff, get my drift?

I enjoy running alot more.. I did do a 40 mile ride last summer (which isn't much) and got such a great workout from that.. But the time it takes for that is too long sometimes. I feel like I get just as good of a workout doing a 5 miler at a good pace, and it only takes just under 32 min to do that. I think the best thing to do is take advantage and incorporate both into your training. The effort you put into it is going to affect the results you get out of it. If you can try to find someone to run or cycle with, if you have someone to keep pace it helps push you..

n I wouldn't say running is hard on the body at all.. If you work your way up and avoid the OVERtraining factor then you should come through injury free.. Its the people that first start running that aren't familiar with the aches and pains that get into trouble with the injuries. Some people associate running with 'pain' for some reason and keep pushing through it--when the body is trying to tell them to stop.. Running form comes with time and you just have to work yourself up to it.. A good site to check out that has quite a few good articles is : www.runnersworld.com

I enjoy running alot more.. I did do a 40 mile ride last summer (which isn't much) and got such a great workout from that.. But the time it takes for that is too long sometimes. I feel like I get just as good of a workout doing a 5 miler at a good pace, and it only takes just under 32 min to do that. I think the best thing to do is take advantage and incorporate both into your training. The effort you put into it is going to affect the results you get out of it. If you can try to find someone to run or cycle with, if you have someone to keep pace it helps push you..

n I wouldn't say running is hard on the body at all.. If you work your way up and avoid the OVERtraining factor then you should come through injury free.. Its the people that first start running that aren't familiar with the aches and pains that get into trouble with the injuries. Some people associate running with 'pain' for some reason and keep pushing through it--when the body is trying to tell them to stop.. Running form comes with time and you just have to work yourself up to it.. A good site to check out that has quite a few good articles is : www.runnersworld.com

running is definitely harder on the body than cycling or swimming, how could it not be? I don't think there would be a higher percentage of injury if you do it right (like everything else) but the jarring from running is there and you just don't have that with cycling.

rowing machine>swimming>cycling>running for cardio for me.

Cycling will work just fine if you actually set the machine or pick your route that forces you to work-out in your target heart-rate zone. If you do 20 min motos, aim to keep your effort up for the entire length. Regardless of what the resistance is.

Cycling when approached properly works the large muscle groups of the legs better than running. Most people don't really run: They heel-toe step a jog and use as little force as they can get away with, and simply try and pound out the mileage. Wrong.

Most people have managed to get through life without ever mastering the proper "running' technique. Not unlike the inability for some people to throw properly. So tryin' to thrash your way around a 5 mile run, is gonna lead to one-helluva a negative experience.

If you wish to incorporate some running into your cross-training; run up a hill or grandstands...and jog back down...repeat. This helps with all the stand-up and sit-down of riding an mx track.

CYCLING.

One and a half years ago on the Saturday before Labor Day. I was riding with a couple of friends on a HARD B rated trail. We come up on a group of 5 riders strewn all over the trail going up this climb. So we get around them and are hanging out waiting at the top of the climb. They all make it up intact, and we start talking. Well come to find out that 2 of the 5 are PROFESSIONAL & OLYMIPIC CYCLISTS... they had NEVER BEEN ON A MOTORCYCLE BEFORE!!!

But all the skills learned on 2 wheels transfer to 2 wheels! If in trouble/when in doubt, HIT THE GAS! When on a bicycle the same holds true. NOT the same with running. Running can't teach that GYROS are our dear friends, without them we tip over and that sucks! Same for the cyclist, not so for the runner.

NOW... PARKOUR is a different case. In that there can be no hesitation and no OVERLY conceived plan, route or timeline. Ain't gunna happen, IF the FREERUNNER is going to be flowing and fluid. Check out Daniel Ilabaca for a prime example.

http://parkour-videos.com/daniel-ilabaca-trip-to-lisses-february-2006/

Yes, the workout takes longer cycling... BUT you can gain SO much more from cycling. At least PARKOUR teaches timing, propreoception(sp?), nerves of steal, overcoming the FEAR factor, massive upper body workout(not as good as climbing though), commitment, line choice. This is why I would urge the runners out there to give it a try. You WILL see crossover skills in your riding from PARKOUR, no doubt!! Same with any and all forms of cycling:thumbsup:.

Nice pace :banana: just over 6 minutes per mile so you are well beyond an average runner ... Unless you have no specific sport to focus on, you train for a specific event and then use cross training to enhance that one specific sport. Tri-athletics and bi-athletics are slightly different in this case as they have more than one event to train for ... Still in their cases, they are maximizing cross training to push each event to a higher level.

Yes, most new to running might over train with about 12 other things done incorrectly also ... I over trained in a few different ways for about ~8 yrs I'd guess till I put on a heart monitor ... it is the only way to know exactly how hard UR heart is working ... UR pace might be slow, but if your heart is working hard, U are working too hard and U gotta go slower or even walk to keep from over training on this specific day ...

The Pros are cross training for the motor cycle riding, to enhance or maintain (or both) their fitness level and an injury while cross training could be devastating … and who wants to say I pulled a muscle in my cross training and now I can’t ride? They gotta be real careful with this ...

Running is really hard core ... too hard core for most ... as it is so easy to stop and walk with each step to stop the stress (pain?) and with each step, you prove that you are not a quitter :lol:

you'd think, and it's true, for cycling, running, basketball...BUT go look at the amount of seat time the pros have in their training plans between bike/cardio/weights. Seat time is for testing fitness progress, polishing off any conditions you can't replicate in the gym(plyo type stuff and putting it alltogether in linking muscles) and MOSTLY hammering technique/muscle control and response. Basically cardio efficiency is brought up to snap in the off/pre season with another form of cardio, then maintained during the season. The pros are all about getting it done in the fastest most efficient manner. If seat time was good enough, I guarantee none of them would touch a cardio device!

Not saying only seat time won't get you in shape neither, just that there's a faster way to do it with a focused plan. Your bike "only" weighs 225-260 some odd pounds, you can play with more than that in a gym/big heavy stuff, get my drift?

These guys, same as you or me or any one who rides a bike on a regular basis, have a core fitness level from bike riding built up. ... Theirs would be very high as they ride bikes alot... this high level gets harder and harder to push … cross training helps to push, improve and will maintain this fitness level, but it does not put the pure bike riding fitness there...

Cross training is needed to push the envelop ... These are the best riders in the states and the best are gonna do what ever is needed to win ... out work your opponent and you might can be the champ ... same as in any sport.

Heavy weight? These guys I don't believe want too much muscle mass so they would go low weight, high reps to build muscle endurance … lol … This would also cut down on the risk of injury in the gym ...

Edited by ray_ray

I used to be an avid runner. It wasnt uncommon for me to do 10 miles in one run for the heck of it. Usually I was arounbd th 5-6 mile a day mark. Then one day both ankles gave out completely. I want to get back into it and was addicted to that "runners high" but my ankles cant take it anymore. I took up cycling now. Definatelty takes more time to build cardio up cycling compared to running. Runnings is super intense and is a great way to build cardio fast. But cycling builds your leg/calf strength way way more than running ever did. If I could do it over again I would do 50/50. Now I dont really have a choice . Its cycling for me now.

there is no exercise that puts demands on our bodies like running..it is by far the best conditioning exercise there is..it is hard, and is an high impact exercise but the benifit far outwiegh all other exercises..alternate,one day running the next biking..i do

Not sure what the "right" answer is to your question but cycling seems to be popular for many, many athletes to warm-up or stay warm or whatever...skiers, snowboarders, MX riders, MTB riders all seem to ride for fitness and to warm up before events. There must be something good about it. I'll tell you this, I'd rather have cyclists legs than runners legs.

I used to run 2-3 miles a day because it was a quick and easy way to get in a workout but I never really "liked" it. Then I essentially destroyed my knee last July and for now, I feel EVERY impact when I try to jog so I cycle, cycle, cycle and will get back into mountain biking when I get the all clear.