Sign in to follow this  

how to turn a mx bike into a trail bike

hey im getting a 125 sx brand new in 2 weeks and im wondering if you have any

suggestions on how to make it into more of a trail bike because i race enduros and hare scrambles

BUY a 150 or 200. You would need to revalve the suspension, heavier flywheel weight on a SX for offroad work. Not to mention barkbusters and other personal touches.

You would spend alot more on making the SX into a trail bike than if you just bought a 200XC or XC-W

Yes, if your buying new, I'd also recommend getting a 150XC or a 200XC/XC-W. By the time you convert the 125, you'll have more $$ in it, and still not have as good of a ride.

If you want a small bore, get a 150XC. Having said that, no matter what bike you get it will have to be optimized. Doesn't matter what bike I get, I have to change it to fit me, no matter if it is a bike that supposedly can be taken from the showroom to the hare scrambles and be competitive.

You see...until the manufacturers get the personalized bike market idea and bring it to reality, there is not a bike that can be basically taken from the showroom to the off road races. Until the manufacturers and dealers go through a set-up guide with new owners before delivery, the aftermarket will rule.

I wish delaers, especially would get it:

Rider: I want that one

Dealer: Need a bigger tank?

Rider: As a matter of fact I do, need to be able to go 80+ miles preferrable.

Dealer: Check, got one right in back that will work. What level of rider and weight with gear?

Rider: Intermediate and 220.

Dealer: Gonna need springs. Okay let me look into my suggested spring rate chart. Forks .48 check got em'. Shock 10.0 check got it. Anything else?

Rider: Bark busters and stabilizer? I prefer GPR and Cycra pro bends.

Dealer: Check...got em'. Any thing else?

Rider: Nope, looks like the bike I want and need for my application.

Dealer: Give us 2-3 hours and the bike will be ready with everything on it and ready to roll. Install is free at initial purchase and parts are 10 % off. Springs rates are a factory option, no cost. Plan on being here for approximately an hour, so we can set sag and go over the bike with you.

* If dealers and manufacturers would have this attitude and have simple things like springs to buyer (not to mythical average rider profile), it would certainly make life easier.

If you want a small bore, get a 150XC. Having said that, no matter what bike you get it will have to be optimized. Doesn't matter what bike I get, I have to change it to fit me, no matter if it is a bike that supposedly can be taken from the showroom to the hare scrambles and be competitive.

You see...until the manufacturers get the personalized bike market idea and bring it to reality, there is not a bike that can be basically taken from the showroom to the off road races. Until the manufacturers and dealers go through a set-up guide with new owners before delivery, the aftermarket will rule.

I wish delaers, especially would get it:

Rider: I want that one

Dealer: Need a bigger tank?

Rider: As a matter of fact I do, need to be able to go 80+ miles preferrable.

Dealer: Check, got one right in back that will work. What level of rider and weight with gear?

Rider: Intermediate and 220.

Dealer: Gonna need springs. Okay let me look into my suggested spring rate chart. Forks .48 check got em'. Shock 10.0 check got it. Anything else?

Rider: Bark busters and stabilizer? I prefer GPR and Cycra pro bends.

Dealer: Check...got em'. Any thing else?

Rider: Nope, looks like the bike I want and need for my application.

Dealer: Give us 2-3 hours and the bike will be ready with everything on it and ready to roll. Install is free at initial purchase and parts are 10 % off. Springs rates are a factory option, no cost. Plan on being here for approximately an hour, so we can set sag and go over the bike with you.

* If dealers and manufacturers would have this attitude and have simple things like springs to buyer (not to mythical average rider profile), it would certainly make life easier.

And then the customer says, screw that I can drive two hours away and save $150.00!

And then the customer says, screw that I can drive two hours away and save $150.00!

if a dealer actually did all that, people would gladly pay more

I only know of one dealer that's like that here, and it's ktmworld, and they happen to be the one that's 150 $ or more cheaper too

Even though setting up your bike yourself is harder,what you learn in the process especially the first time is worth it.I bought a CR 250R to play on,and afterward got interested in Hare Scrambles.I have learned a lot and now have it so that it works well for me.It has been fun learning and I have a better understanding of what it takes to set up a bike.

Sorry man but if you really only rde trails, your dad didn't do much research into the bike before deciding on one. The xc is MUCH better for what you want to do. I think they even make a 150xc?? Anyway, let him know it's going to cost more in the long run to get the bike where you will excel on it.

Sorry man but if you really only rde trails, your dad didn't do much research into the bike before deciding on one. The xc is MUCH better for what you want to do. I think they even make a 150xc?? Anyway, let him know it's going to cost more in the long run to get the bike where you will excel on it.

In a well meaning, but uninformed parent's mind, sometimes "smaller" = "safer". 150 or 200 being larger than a 125, sounds more dangerous.

Dunno if this is the case with Geoffrey's dad, but I've seen it before.

125 will be alright though. Will teach him how to ride aggressively and use the clutch. Or how to cuss and flog the kickstart.:banana:

In a well meaning, but uninformed parent's mind, sometimes "smaller" = "safer". 150 or 200 being larger than a 125, sounds more dangerous.

Dunno if this is the case with Geoffrey's dad, but I've seen it before.

125 will be alright though. Will teach him how to ride aggressively and use the clutch. Or how to cuss and flog the kickstart.:banana:

KTM makes a 150 and 105XC. Plus the XC's are "softened" up a bit with regards to the engines. Internally the same as the MX versions, they have different powervalve springs and ignition curves.

Sorry, but your Dad's logic is flawed. a 105 or 150XC would be LEAGUES better for your proported style of riding than the SX. Is he open to reason? Maybe go down to the store with him and try out an XC. I think they're even a bit cheaper?

Man if the dealers did half that I would be ready to get a new ktm . Crap that service alone would save 150 in shiping . Not to mention the agrivation of trying to set sag with your wife or GF (never both LOL ) Wait a minute what planet are these dealers on

that will never happen on this one.

I just have never been able to understand why any manufacturer, let alone a dealer, would send a bike out with a new bike with a 220 lb owner with springs designed for a 165 lb mythical rider. Spring A at a .44 KG rate generally costs near = to a .48 KG Spring B when mass produced and purchased by the manufacturer.

This is a no brainer for me. This is a optional product that should be included, especially given most dealers set-up charges to un-crate a bike, fasten a front wheel, and add oil. Seems like a sub-assembly that doesn't have to be completed during manufacturing (springs in/on), especially given line variation bikes like KTM that generally share spring types between models. They know from testing what spring rates are optimum for use/oem valving and rider weight. They then chose a spring rate for the mythical rider and try to share it amoungst as many bikes as they can so they can mass order springs for production.

Don't know it for a fact, but I believe all the adult SX bikes share the same suspension, all adult XC bikes share the same suspension, and all XC-W's share the same suspension. Be willing to bet the only difference between springs rates is between the 4 stk's and the 2 stk's, but they all utilize the same spring diameter and length and major components as each other in the line.

This is a no brainer for me.

You got that part right.

A- People already cry high and loud about the set-up fees for assembling the motorcycle. A few people order crate bikes just to skip that cost. 2 to 3 hours of personal set up is about 150 to 200 dollars of labor, and you want them to do it for free on your schedule?

B- If you ask your dealer for all of the stuff they gave you in your dream conversation, you can probably get it. You'll pay for it, but if you want it that badly, you can have it.

I just have never been able to understand why any manufacturer, let alone a dealer, would send a bike out with a new bike with a 220 lb owner with springs designed for a 165 lb mythical rider.

Because the 165 lb (or any weight) beginner doesn't know anything about suspension, and will be miserable for the entire month that they own the bike before selling it for something that works for them.

The 220 lb expert knows that they need new springs, and either knows how to do it, or who to send it to.

being it looks like you already bought the 125, no biggie... the 150 or 200 might have been a better choice as described above but that doesnt mean you cant run a 125. you'll just have to be more aggressive to ride fast and learn how to carry your speed through corners. I'd ride it first and see how it feels. possibly get the suspension revalved.