Sign in to follow this  

Polaris four wheel drive ain't working

On my 2003 sportsman 425, the four wheel drive isn't working. When I first fired it up this spring it was in four wheel drive, but the front tires aren't turning. I looked and the shafts going into the front tires are turning, but the tires aren't. It must be electrical, right? The machine has auto locking hubs and when i flip the four wheel drive switch on and off the shafts don't stop turning no matter what. So it must be a fuse or maybe a disconnected wire that is stopping the hubs from engaging. Maybe I'm totally wrong, it's just a guess that the problem is electrical, but there are no sounds and it still drives fine. Any info on what the deal is or where i should look for my problem would be great. Thanks:thumbsup:

I havee a 05 700 sportsman so I don't know if it is the same...but on mine the four wheel drive only kicks in if the back wheels lose traction....just because you turn the switch on does not automatically mean there is power to all wheels all the time..that's why on a polaris you can just leave the FWD switch on without any worries. the shafts will turn at all times because there is an electrical disc in the gear box that engages or disengages power to the four wheel drive....the onlt way you caan trully tell if it is working is my breaking the back wheels lose and seeing if the front tires start to dig

if im right the 2003 sportsman 425 has wheel coils for the fort tires that are subject to erosion and are constantly in need of replacement,there are many other things that could cause the 4x4 to not work but you are right it probably electrical

I actually dont recall polaris making a sportsman 425 in 2003. If both wheels arent engaging 4x4 i would suspect it would be electrical. there are a few things that can affect the 4x4 on those machines. does it say its in 4x4? does your speedo work properly? wheel bearing torque? hub fluid ok ?