Sign in to follow this  

Anybody use Radiator cages for MX?

Hey all I picked up an '06 YZ250f a few weeks ago and was thinking about getting some WC cages for the radiators. This is my first bike but I seem to be picking it up ok. I Rode a little MX on quads before.No racing just play riding. I will be riding mainly MX. Are cages a waste for MX or are they still a must have item? Thanks.

Unless Yamahas are built with way stronger rads than Honda's, some support is a must! They're fine without them if the bike falls onto perfectly flat ground, but I had a 5 mph fall and landed right on the left radiator:

crbentrad.jpg

I don't run the cages, I use the WC radiator braces.

MAX!!!

What's the difference between the WC cages and the braces? I liked the MSR HP or Moose braces from the other thread as well. I think I will definately get something I just don't really like the look of the gaurds that replace the stock louvers. I also read in another thread they don't protect from roost as well as the stock louvers. Anyone else notice this? Thanks.

Every rad failure I've seen has been from crashing, where it's the side crushing impact that damages them. I think the front protection is not that important. The "braces" (I use Works Connection) give some extra support. They are stamped sheet metal, where the "cages" are way more substantial, and more expensive. If you can find some cages that look cool and fit your budget I'd go with them. Price up a new radiator, new shrouds, new graphics... Mine was $240 I think. And may bike has crashed harder than when blown over by a gust of wind.

Every rad failure I've seen has been from crashing, where it's the side crushing impact that damages them. I think the front protection is not that important. The "braces" (I use Works Connection) give some extra support. They are stamped sheet metal, where the "cages" are way more substantial, and more expensive. If you can find some cages that look cool and fit your budget I'd go with them. Price up a new radiator, new shrouds, new graphics... Mine was $240 I think. And may bike has crashed harder than when blown over by a gust of wind.

I did have WC on my 06 Honda CRF, low mph crash same as you had and the left radiator was bent but not as bad as in your picture but it still leaked. Put Flatland guards on my bike and it's much stronger now. The thing I liked about the WC was they were easy to put on, but do the extra work to fit guards on and I think you'll be happy you did.

I had to replace my radiators two times so far, because of crashes. I have radiator braces but they are bent up.

I'm not sure why I don't use braces or cages.

I think my dad said something about air flow and the radiators overheat or something with them on.

IMO radiator braces ( the flimsy ones like works connection makes) are worthless. I've personally seen instances where they have bent into a pretzel on simple tip overs. They seem to only add stability and not much protection against front or side impacts.

I don't believe Works Connection makes radiator braces for a 06-09 Yamaha 250f or 450f, they only make the radiator cages for them.

I saw a local pro lean his bike so far over in a turn that he ripped the whole radiator off. I need my cages for goon purposes though. I can vouch for them cause I've seen my work. I'm not sure what kind mine are since they were on the bike when I bought it. It's like a cage with a brace.

I'm looking for something to replace my works braces. I ran a hare scramble weekend before last. It was a fast flowing course and though i bumped off a few trees, nothing out of the ordinary. when the race was over both my braces were folded in the center to the frame and the left radiator had the outside support part ripped 85% off. It's not leaking yet but it won't be long. Im now working on the funds to replace rads with higher flowing ones and different protection.

I used unabiker radiator guards on my DRZ, and am picking up a set for the yz250 that I just picked up today. It's relatively cheap insurance. Never had any overheating on the DRZ with the rad guards installed. Just my two cents.