DR650 Front Forks

I need to repair my front forks. I have all the tools to do this except for the oil seal installer tool. I looked for the tool and it costs more than $400 for this tool. Is it possible to do the job without this expensive tool?

I just did the oil and dust seals last weekend, I didn use a "tool" I just found a short piece of thin wall pipe that fit the oil seal. Worked perfect, the dust seals just slid in without the driver. I also went up to a 20W oil and added an extra 1.5" of preload and that sure mada a difference. Hope that helps

Jody

I just did the oil and dust seals last weekend, I didn use a "tool" I just found a short piece of thin wall pipe that fit the oil seal. Worked perfect, the dust seals just slid in without the driver.

Jody

that's exactly what I did. No need fancy tool.

Just a long length of PVC water pipe with circumference matching that of the oil seat. Rest the PVC end flatly on the oil seal, and use a hammer to tap it until the oil seal is seated properly.

Dust seal can be thumb pressed in since it is held by the retaining pin.

:banana::ride:

I also went up to a 20W oil and added an extra 1.5" of preload and that sure mada a difference.

That is very heavy oil! I used 15wt when I first went to the Eibach springs and it felt horrible. Overly stiff and the tire was always in the air over rough stuff giving a rough ride and less traction!

Be careful!

• 2 weeks later...
I need to repair my front forks. I have all the tools to do this except for the oil seal installer tool. I looked for the tool and it costs more than $400 for this tool. Is it possible to do the job without this expensive tool?

Hi,

Just cut the outer rubber off the old seal and then use it on top of the new one and gently tap the new seal in. Should work fine (and I did say gently).

Gary

Wow joker, you must must not weigh much. I'm only 170 lbs., but I find the DR suspension way too soft. Front end dives down, rear end pogos.

I dream of the day I can do some upgrades. Time is coming near!

Dont get me wrong they are far from perfect but with the extra 1.5" of spacer and 20w oil it's a HUGE improvement. I cant afford the stiffer springs and other gadgets for the forks right now but, bang for buck I'm good with them for now. Oh and by the way i'm 220lbs.