Sign in to follow this  

KLX125/ KX85 Hybrid

So... once again I've been inspired by your custom minis to build one of my own.

I'm starting with a 2006 KLX125L and a 2001 KX85. The plan is a simple suspension swap, basic 150 kit, 26mm Mikuni carb, lightened flywheel, stage 2 Hotcam, and a few other goodies.

As many of you already know, the 85 front end is a bolt-on affair so I thought it unnecessary to document that swap. The cradle is also pretty simple and boring, so you'll just have to settle for "finished" pics. Haha.

I’ve seen a few variations of the rear suspension. The following is my take…..

Instead of boring out the KX85 swingarm to accept KLX125 bearings, I opted to use the smaller stock 85 bearings. That leaves one problem… the hole for the swingarm bolt in the KLX frame is larger than the 12mm bolt required by the bearings in the KX swingarm. This was not much of a concern for me since I planned to “beef-up” the swingarm pivot hole on the KLX frame anyway. This also required me to machine a sleeve for the hole in the motor so the new, smaller 12mm X 240mm bolt isn’t sloppy.

IMG_4372.jpg

IMG_4373.jpg

Now… the KX swingarm at the pivot is narrower than the inside width of the KLX frame at the pivot. Spacers were required on the outsides of the swingarm and also between the inside of the swingarm and the motor. (I will post the measurements of the spacers later. I have them written down at the shop.)

IMG_4374.jpg

IMG_4375.jpg

Mocked-up with KX85 front end, rear wheel, swinger, shock, and connecting rods (drag links/ dog bones, whatever you wanna call them). The main part of the linkage is from the KLX...

IMG_4376.jpg

IMG_4377.jpg

Now... As I said, I wanted to "beef-up" the swingarm pivot hole area on the KLX frame. I decided to make the spacers and swingarm mount one piece, welded in premanently. This offered two benefits: #1: The shear load of the swingarm is now spread across a wider area (instead of just the thickness of the frame). #2: I don't have to fumble around with spacers every thime I have to remove/ install the swingarm.

IMG_4378.jpg

IMG_4379.jpg

IMG_4380.jpg

IMG_4381.jpg

IMG_4382.jpg

IMG_4383.jpg

Master cylinder mount and modified brake pedal...

IMG_4385.jpg

Frame complete with gussets...

IMG_4386.jpg

IMG_4388.jpg

IMG_4389.jpg

IMG_4394.jpg

Off to the Powder Coater...

IMG_4401.jpg

To be continued...

• Like 1

Thanks Gennaro. Can't wait to ride this thing on my new mini sx track!!!!!

Head work done, cylinder bored, and stage 2 hotcam...

IMG_4417.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg

New plastics, graphics, and gripper...

IMG_4415.jpg

IMG_4416.jpg

Other misc. goodies...

IMG_4419.jpg

IMG_4420.jpg

Man-- Settin'... Every time I see your work-- I'm always in amazement! Simply flawless! I can't wait to see this build myself.

BTW-- Did you get the PM I sent you regarding the KLX140 rear end? --L*64

Ok, I've been keeping up with your builds on Planetminis and I'm super impressed. I think you should make a small business out of these conversions. Even if you just provided a modified powdercoated frame and the necessary spacers/adapters so the diyers could take it from there. Just a thought, it definitely seems like this could be more than a hobby for you. Sign me up for a CRF230 frame modified to accept a CRF150RB swingarm and rear disc brake. Keep up the amazing work on these conversions!

Thanks Gennaro. Can't wait to ride this thing on my new mini sx track!!!!

Shweet, Can't wait to see the action pics!!

Is the new track at Doc's place too?

Ok, I've been keeping up with your builds on Planetminis and I'm super impressed. I think you should make a small business out of these conversions. Even if you just provided a modified powdercoated frame and the necessary spacers/adapters so the diyers could take it from there. Just a thought, it definitely seems like this could be more than a hobby for you. Sign me up for a CRF230 frame modified to accept a CRF150RB swingarm and rear disc brake. Keep up the amazing work on these conversions!

Thanks man. We are currently developing a few products. I'll keep you guys posted.

Ahhhhhhhhh...can't help noticing you are using the racing numbers 27..I used to use them same numbers 30 years ago....damn lucky numbers.

Hey, I call dibs on getting my bike built before you go and get so mini-famous that you have no time for us "little folks". :banana:

Hey, I call dibs on getting my bike built before you go and get so mini-famous that you have no time for us "little folks". :thumbsup:

Hahaha. You got it!

Got the PC triple clamps back from annodizing today. Plus a few other goodies. Should be doing motos on the new track by next weekend!!!

IMG_4499.jpg

IMG_4500.jpg

IMG_4501.jpg

IMG_4502.jpg

you make me feel so lazy! you will have 3 bikes built by time i get mine finished. i need to get off the computer and in the garage. thanks for sharing all of your posts for those of us who get the whole conversion concept. it's funny all the people who ask why or think it is stupid because you could have just bought a bigger bike. i guess you just have to laugh.

you make me feel so lazy! you will have 3 bikes built by time i get mine finished. i need to get off the computer and in the garage. thanks for sharing all of your posts for those of us who get the whole conversion concept. it's funny all the people who ask why or think it is stupid because you could have just bought a bigger bike. i guess you just have to laugh.

Amen!!

Here's an update for you...

Amelia Anne Berg. Born 8:07am on April 2, 2010. 7lbs 7oz. 19.75".

IMG_0694.jpg

I have all the parts, motor is done, everything is back from plating... now I just need to find some time to put the big puzzle together!

This new addition to our family makes it hard to find that time, but the trade-off is well worth it, ya know?!

Congrats! Newborns usually look like aliens and she is super cute. (I appologize to everyone in advance for saying super cute on TT) They are so much fun, my son is 14 mos and I can't wait to pick up a pw 50 so he can hit the track with pops.