3/20,21 Rock creek - Rides that don't suck Ride.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be out there on Saturday. My buddy's brother and father are coming in from out of town, and I thought we would show them around GT. My father, as always, will be riding with me as well. Potentially my brother. Our gang is pretty damn big as it is, but at the minimum, come by and say hey. My buddy and I have 250x's, should be a wrf250 and a yam250f as well. Plus two other bikes that I don't know at this point. :banana:

I think so. It heads up from that cold spot.(I call it the meat locker) Black berries grow down by the road. Last time I rode it, I rode it down on the last leg of an enduro. I had broken my front brake lever so I bull dogged that bike down that steep SOB!

Here's the whole post from the ranger;

Rock Creek OHV Area Volunteer Work Day.

When: March 21, 2010

8:30 AM to 12:00 noon

Where: Meeting place will be at the Georgetown Ranger District office located at 7600 Wentworth Springs Rd. at 8:30 am. From Highway 193 turn on Main Street in Georgetown and continue for three and a half miles to the Georgetown District office. The work site will be trail 1 east of Rock Creek Rd. it’s a ten minute drive from the district office to the trailhead. It’s approximately a half mile from the trailhead to the work site; you are welcome to use your motorcycle, quad or bicycle to ride to the work site.

Objectives for the day: This section of the trail 1 loop climbs out of the Canyon Creek drainage, there are two areas which are in need of work in order to make the trail negotiable for most riders. We will be working with hand tools and gas powered rock drills, moving rocks and soil to re-establish a rideable trail tread. This is a black diamond (most difficult) section of trail and will remain so.

What to Bring: You will need to wear work boots with good ankle support and traction soles. The weather may be cold; this drainage doesn’t get a lot of sun this time of year, dress appropriately. Bring enough drinking water and a snack to hold you over until noon. A backpack for your food and drink is a good idea. If you have a favorite shovel or mattock, you are welcome to bring it; otherwise we will have loaner tools. If possible bring gloves, safety glasses and a hard hat. If you don’t have these items, we will have loaners you can use.

Please RSVP to John Ward at (530) 333-5568 or email: jlward@fs.fed.us. Please respond by 03/14/2010, so we can be sure to have enough equipment and tools to work on the project. If we get rained or snowed out, the rain date will be April 11. Please contact John if you have any questions.

Thank you for your support.

John L Ward

Off Highway Vehicle Manager

Georgetown Ranger District

Eldorado National Forest

(530)333-5568

jlward@fs.fed.us

Well I'm supposed to be out of town next weekend, so can't make the ride or the work party. I do know that the bottom of that section of Trail 1 really needs some work. The last time I rode it I was coming down too, and it would have been a bitch to go up it then. Looked like many people over time had been tearing it up pretty bad from not making it clean in the uphill direction, with the worst parts being in the first couple hundred yards. If my plans change I will try to make it to work and ride, but since it'll be the first really good riding weekend in a while I'm betting I won't be around for it.

So, is Jon Jue out at Georgetown? I've never heard of John Ward.

Please don't make the trail too easy. I like it the way it is today.

Jon Jue now has a different position, not sure but might be resource officer or something like that. :banana:

Why can't they re route and leave the tough sections open. Is this particular one an erosion issue.

I don't think it is really an erosion issue, I think its a Squid issue (Squids can't stay on the trail, then tear it up trying to get back on it). ?

:banana: You've heard that story. My 1st ride back from a 20 year hiatus & they took the newbie on that trail.

Trail by fire! Not a good time! :banana: They just camped out above that section and watched. I think I crashed 4 or 5 times in that 20 feet.

I remember walking the Flume Trail? too, and thinking........... "These guys want to kill me!"

That was back in my XR400 days. :banana: